superdrive won't read some discs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" C2D 2.2Ghz SR 2GB RAM 128MB VRAM 120GB HDD
hey!

i've searched the forums, but i haven't found an answer to this one.

my superdrive dl is having problems reading some of my cds, it sort of tries to spin them up, but it looks like it can't get them up to speed and instead ejects them again.

i'm talking about original audio cds, no scratches (one is BRAND NEW), ... doesn't happen with all of them, but it's not just one either.
any thoughts on what might be causing this? the cd itself as i said is brand new and looks perfect.
thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
How old is the superdrive? Not very as it's a DL one I'm guessing.
First stage is to try a clean with a good cd/dvd lens cleaner and then try.
Failing that, it could be the drive on it's way out. Mine died a death a while back (at least for burning it did anyway, it will sometimes read).
If cleaning doesn't solve it I can only hope it's still under warranty.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" C2D 2.2Ghz SR 2GB RAM 128MB VRAM 120GB HDD
it's abut 2.5 months old, not more!
and i don't believe the lens to be dirty, it basically hasn't left my room since i have it. i guess i'll go to the local mac store and ask them whats up...

Reaction score
my superdrive won't read discs either!

Hey I have the same problem. My macbook pro is only 5 months old. I had to use my husband's "inferior" macbook to read my discs. :Grimmace: Did you find an answer from the genius bar? did they replace your superdrive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.