Unzipping multiple files

Reaction score
One of the other big things I am having difficulties with in the transition is unzipping multiple files. Compounding that is the major unreliability of stuffit. It hangs every single time I use it. I tried mac zip but it does not seem to do multiple files either.

Isn 't there something that will run on a mac along the lines of winzip that will unzip multiple files? Or run without hanging up every time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Zipping and unzipping are handled by the os itself (X) - no need for stuffit or anything else

To create a Zip file:

Select the files or folders: right click: select Create Archive of.....

To unzip: to set up mac osx to zip all files

select a zip file and get info (command F)
Under open with section select BOMarchiveHelper (it has a lime green icon)

Hit the Change all icon below it

Now all unzips will be handles by OSX - you can now ditch all the other zip programs

Reaction score
Multifile zip extraction

I was getting an error uncompressing a multi file zip. I got around this by installing WinZip using Parallel Desktop with WindowXP installed.

I know this won't work for everyone, but if you Windows installed with either Boot Camp or Parallel Desktop. Installing Winzip will work for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
I was getting an error uncompressing a multi file zip. I got around this by installing WinZip using Parallel Desktop with WindowXP installed.

I know this won't work for everyone, but if you Windows installed with either Boot Camp or Parallel Desktop. Installing Winzip will work for you.

Ye gods that's a round about way of accomplishing something simple OSX will do itself. There are perfectly good copies of zip and unzip shipped with OS X in /usr/bin.

Gotta drop to a terminal, but they'll handle standard shell wildcards for zipping/unzipping multiple files.

$ unzip *.zip

etc.

Reaction score
I recently downloaded 283 Zip files (using Firefox's "Download Them All" plugin ... so useful), all containing some nice website background patterns, but didn't want to double-click on all of them.

I didn't want to buy a new shareware app for one task, so on a hunch I selected all and right-clicked, and Automator came up as an option. Never using it before, I opened it, and it's far easier than I originally thought Automator was going to be:

1. Open Automator.

2. In "Get Specific Finder Items" on the right side, click on [Add...] and navigate to the folder(s) containing the compressed files you want to unZip.

3. On the left side, click on the Actions button, then select "Open Finder Items" from the list.

4. In the upper right, click the Run (>) button. Automator will then go through the list and, one by one, unZip the Zip files.

I'm unaware if it will do this across multiple folders, but I have to assume it does given that you can select files from multiple folders in the first place.

(If it means anything, I'm using a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo running Leopard OSX v10.5.2.)

(Oh, and if you're interested, those background patterns can be found here.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.