Massive page ins/ page outs

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've noticed recently on iStat Pro that my page ins was 2.3 million and my page outs were 800,000 or so.

I did some reading, and found out that page outs are high if you don't have enough memory. Well, my memory's maxed out with 2 GB.

I am on a university campus that requires a piece of software to be installed (Windows only) in order to access the Internet. Thus, I am running XP in Parallels, often at the same time I'm running Photoshop CS3 on the OSX side.

Questions:

1. I restarted my computer yesterday, and the page in/outs were reset. Right now, they read 400,000 in, 117,000 out. Is this an issue? If so, is there any corrective measure I can take?

2. Is it possible that browsing the net (using Firefox) in Win XP and doing Photoshop CS3 work in OSX at the same time is a problem?

Note: I can't access the net on the OSX side, for some reason (just in case that was going to be someone's suggestion), so I have no choice but to use a browser in XP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.