Calling all AL iMac users! - High pitched squeal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Here's one for you.

I've looked online and a few other people seem to be experiencing this same problem as me, it's REALLY ANNOYING. I own the 2.4 core 2 dou iMac AL. It will emit an high pitched "squeal"/ ring" usually after short audio has been played. The only way to make it stop is to;
•Wait for it to quit, which has been up to at least 1 minute of squealing.
• Playing other audio, or muting and then turning the sound back on, this of course always is followed the by the "plip" sound, so it makes the ringing stop.

I've seen other posts saying it would be peoples cpu or lcd, but this is coming through the speakers, I have external speakers attached to it, I also hear it with headphones on.

Does anyone else have this problem with their AL iMac. It's really frustrating and annoying.

OP
Ghostshadow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found out that some of the mabook pro's also will scream! I read it could be the 2nd core in the cpu causing the wine noise. I'm not convinced though, because if i hit mute or play a sound while it's whining and then i stop the sound it won't be whining anymore.

I know a few of you have an AL iMac, do any of you have any whining issues?

Reaction score
YES. it happens to me when im on logic, i will pause and think, 'Whats that electrical noise'? I hit mute or change the volume from my keyboard and it stops. I too have external speakers but i don't use headphones very often. It has only happened to me a few times, but doesn't really bother me cos i press one button and it will stop. I don't get it whilst playing audio, only after.

I have the same imac as you btw, the aluminum one.

OP
Ghostshadow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
YES. it happens to me when im on logic, i will pause and think, 'Whats that electrical noise'? I hit mute or change the volume from my keyboard and it stops. I too have external speakers but i don't use headphones very often. It has only happened to me a few times, but doesn't really bother me cos i press one button and it will stop. I don't get it whilst playing audio, only after.

I have the same imac as you btw, the aluminum one.

Yes, that's exactly what I experience. The noise went away for a while recently until I did some big work in some pro apps and it started doing it again. It is killing me, I want to rip my hair out at times. I just hit something to make noise and it'll go away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Hm... I do have this issue. knock on wood. And I hope I never do!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.