30d or new glass

Reaction score
i have a rebel xti and am thinking about switching
with the release of the 40d the 30ds have gone to 950 for the body.
i do like my rebel but it is so small and my hands are big. it makes me wana throw the thing.
but i could buy the tamron 17-50mm 2.8 and put up with the small grip(possibly buy a battery grip to compinsate)
what do you guys think would be the better thing to do?
thanks(forgive spelling issues if any)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
POS Dell right now. 2.8 ghz pentium 4 256mb RAM and 40GB HD
I just sold my XT for a 20D and it feels SOOOOO much better but photographers say put your glass before your body. Only reason I got the 20D over glass is that I got an amazing deal. A lightly used 20D with less than 5,000 actuations for only $600. Otherwise, I would have gotten the Canon EF 70-200 F/4 L

OP
B
Reaction score
well i have the 70-200 but i never really use it
thats how i plan on buying whatever i end up buying

Reaction score
If you're not comfortable using your current camera, then upgrade the camera. But the Rebel XTi is a great camera. I would personally put the money towards glass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
I have been using the Canon 350d (Rebel XT) for almost a year now. I also hate it's small size and plan to upgrade to a used 30d, which are selling for cheap now that the 40d is out. Good glass is important, but if you can't stand the body your using, it needs an upgrade.

OP
B
Reaction score
aliright thanks ill prbably end up getting the body
the 30ds are running for 950 at vistek right now

OP
B
Reaction score
nevermind vistek wont take my camera because they apparently almost never sell used
so i guess ill go with glass and look into a grip

Reaction score
Richmond, VA, a native of Chapel Hill, N.C.
Your Mac's Specs
17' iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16 1g ram | iPod Photo 60gb | 2G Shuffle
I had the same problem with the XT- I got a grip, however, and it's spankin' great. Oh, and new glass, too.

OP
B
Reaction score
yeah i ended up getting the grip and a tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which is a sick lens by the way
super sharp super fast
only anoyances are the focusing is a bit loud and the non full time manual but its still really good

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I would go for the glass. Much better upgrade in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz powerbook g4, 1gb RAM, radeon mobility 9700, combo drive
i would say get glass also. there will always be newer, better bodies out there. having a nice set of glass will not only improve the pictures you take with your xti, it'll also make your next body really shine (as long as you put money into getting good glass and not the cheap stuff). also, only buy glass that you know you're going to need. i made the mistake of buying a 150mm lens for my hasselblad, thinking i would make good use of it. it's just sitting in its box collecting dust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I'd say camera if I was purchasing, but then again, I did upgrade from the 300d and 400d I used to the 30d and can say that after using the 30d's menu style, scroll wheel, blah blah blah, that I enjoy it 1000x's more.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'd say camera if I was purchasing, but then again, I did upgrade from the 300d and 400d I used to the 30d and can say that after using the 30d's menu style, scroll wheel, blah blah blah, that I enjoy it 1000x's more.
this was pretty much the same for me
i used the 30d once and it is just a better feeling camera
and i had the 70-200 but it did nothing for me
but now that i pawned it off ive been in a couple situations where it would have been nice to have
but whatever im happy with what ive got and its got me more in the mood to go out and take some more photos

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.