Confused over a couple of issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

I wish to purchase the new iMac 20, 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo with 2GB RAM and was wondering about the following:

I already have an 18 month-old iMac 17 Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz which my spouse will use.

What router would you recommend? I was looking at the specs for the Airport Extreme Base Station but it does say in that it isn't compatible with the iMac 17:

The 802.11n Enabler for Mac works with the following computers: MacBook Pro with Intel Core 2 Duo; MacBook with Intel Core 2 Duo; Mac Pro with AirPort Extreme option; iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo (except the 17-inch, 1.83GHz iMac).

So, I need a router (D-link or whatever) which would be Mac friendly and work with both computers. Please note that for the present, the iMac 20 will be hardwired to the router but chances are that this could change.

Also, I was told that it's quite easy to transfer my applications and such from the older to the newer iMac using a Firewire cable. Looking at such cables on the Apple site, I saw that there are a few types available (4 and 6 pins) and before purchasing one, I would like to know which one I should get.

Does the transfer application work in such a way that I may choose what I want (application and registration key, bookmarks, e-mail addresses, etc.)?

And, when loading Leopard on my older iMac, can I do a simple upgrade without formatting the HD?

Thanks,
Gene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You will need a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable.
As for networking, I assume the older iMac only supports B & G wireless speeds. I would think the routers that support N (which is the fastest) is also backwards compatible. I really don't understand why the Extreme base station wouldn't work.
The older iMac is G compatible so any wireless router that supports that speed (most do) should work fine.
Or did the 17" model not have wireless built-in??

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
The quote you pasted talks about an update - that's the part that only works with specific models.

The base station itself is backward compatible:

The AirPort Extreme Base Station is based on an IEEE 802.11n draft specification and is compatible with IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, and IEEE 802.11g.

Therefore, it would work with your older computer, but using the g standard, not n :)

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
You will need a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire cable.

Great thanks, never user Firewire before and always thought they had some kind of standard, somewhat like USB cables. BTW, was looking at FW cable prices ar Apple, darn expensive...

Or did the 17" model not have wireless built-in??

Yeah, it does have wireless built-in.

Thanks,
Gene

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The quote you pasted talks about an update - that's the part that only works with specific models.

The base station itself is backward compatible:

Therefore, it would work with your older computer, but using the g standard, not n :)

Thanks for the info and I guess that's what I'll get, I like the idea of the firewall plus the fact that you may also pug in a printer.

Gene

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.