I can handle the heat, but can the MBP?

Reaction score
Hi guys

Is heat really such a huge issue on the MBP? Some guys tell me its really bad, others says its ok. Others say their system runs at 2400*c and set their front lawn on fire after melting their marble kitchen table.

I love the MBP, but I need a laptop that will last a few years without frying. I need to be able to use it outdoors without it shutting down because of heat. I wont use it on my lap very much... (im a fan of actual productivity, not looking cool on the couch)

So Im asking the experts: Is it REALLY something to worry about? I dont mind if its hot to the touch; I can handle it. My question is: can the MBP handle it?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
From what I've seen it does get hot, and the fans kick often.

But the melting table and fire sounds like overkill.

My friend's MBP does get hot but it's only hot to touch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The MBP can handle it, (at least so far it can, no reports of heat damage) and honestly, unless I am away from my editing system and have to edit something quickly, my MBP rarely gets hot at all.

OP
Henvan20
Reaction score
The MBP can handle it, (at least so far it can, no reports of heat damage) and honestly, unless I am away from my editing system and have to edit something quickly, my MBP rarely gets hot at all.

Thanks for the info man! Do you think it would be a mistake to buy one now? Rather wait for an update? But then again, isnt 2.4 pretty up to date? I doubt if the 2.8 of core duo extreme will be in there anytime soon.

Reaction score
Surrey or Sheffield, UK.. or I might even be in Aa
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" (mid-2009 edition), 2.66Ghz, 4GB, 640GB HDD
Mine only gets hot (60-80C without a cooling pad thing atm) when I play games, rest of the time it's quiet as a mouse and nice and cozy :>

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
My MBP gets so hot that I use it to light cigarettes, but that's a plus IMHO.

j/j

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
Thanks for the info man! Do you think it would be a mistake to buy one now? Rather wait for an update? But then again, isnt 2.4 pretty up to date? I doubt if the 2.8 of core duo extreme will be in there anytime soon.

It would not be a mistake, the MBP is a quality machine and it'll probably still be a great machine for another 3 years.

I'm just waiting till January cos that's when it's rumoured to be updated PLUS my parents told me they couln't get me one before january.
If I could buy one now I would :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.