• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Perian

Reaction score
So I finally decide to try the remote that came with my new MBP. Front page is awesome. I tried last night and was able to do everything under each category (music, video, photos, DVD) EXCEPT navigate through VLC using the remote and FP. No worries; I'll use Quicktime to view my MPEG4 rip- NO GO!

So this morning, I search for "VLC and MAC Front Row' and came across a forum that suggested downloading a program that would allow QT to read MPEG4 files. Now instead of using VLC, I now use QT while in front row- the way it was meant to be used. :)

I can now navigate properly through my movies- sound +/-, scene selection, etc.

Man, I love this machine.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
So I finally decide to try the remote that came with my new MBP. Front page is awesome. I tried last night and was able to do everything under each category (music, video, photos, DVD) EXCEPT navigate through VLC using the remote and FP. No worries; I'll use Quicktime to view my MPEG4 rip- NO GO!

So this morning, I search for "VLC and MAC Front Row' and came across a forum that suggested downloading a program that would allow QT to read MPEG4 files. Now instead of using VLC, I now use QT while in front row- the way it was meant to be used. :)

I can now navigate properly through my movies- sound +/-, scene selection, etc.

Man, I love this machine.

:D

I do believe you mean "Front Row". But yes, I tried that and it didn't quite work for me. I was hoping that it would support mkv too but it has trouble with it... Glad you enjoy it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
Just a small trick I learned a few days ago:

If you want the Mac to go to sleep after watching a movie or listening to music after you tucked yourself to bed... just hold down the play/pause button a couple of seconds, and the Mac goes to sleep.

Same thing to wake it up.

OP
J
Reaction score
@ mshale,

Perian does support MKV:

Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional Media Types:. AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats; MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
@ mshale,

Perian does support MKV:

Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional Media Types:. AVI, FLV, and MKV file formats; MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivX, H.264, FLV1, FSV1, ...

Yeah, it says it does, but i still had trouble with all of the "extra" formats. I fixed it though... I installed VLC :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Perian + quicktime + front row plays MKV just fine. It's just that it takes a few minutes to 'load' the video in. If you open an MKV file in quicktime with perian installed, it will show a darker bar in the scale loading much like how they load during streaming videos. I can play 1080p quality MKV videos fine...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.