Quick Time Machine question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Does anyone know, if you use an external drive for Time Machine, can you still store files on it as well? Im wondering because I have existing dmg and ghost images that I need to keep but i'd rather have all my backup stuff on one drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would imagine so? I don't think time machine is going to take a whole drive, but nobody will be able to answer that question till th 26th. (or a little after, you have to give people time to experiment and learn the workings of the new features)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Santa Rosa 15" 2.4Ghz, 8600M GT 256MB Gfx, 2GB RAM
Hmm I suppose it would be strange for it to somehow reserve all the space, it would probably just create a folder for itself and leave the rest of the file system intact. I sure hope so because I'm already busy copying 100s of GBs all over the place to prepare for Leopard :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
I'm assuming that we may tell time machine how much disk space it'll be reserved for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Time Machine will just create a main folder on the specified external disk, and then create subfolders for each Mac that is backed up to the disk (if you are going to back up multiple Macs on your network to one disk).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
O.K, here's a twist. I have an external that is partitioned into two partitions, one for my SuperDuper clone and one that holds all of my pictures and music. How will Time Machine work with that setup? Should I erase my clone and point time machine to that partition? Or if I don't manually erase, will TM overwrite the clone? Either way is fine, I have a second external that I back up the first external to and take it offsite, so have protection either way. Just trying to figure out how this will all work with the partitions I have.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Probably the simplest way to do this is what I do. I have 2 partitions, one clones my whole Mac HD, so that I have a bootable drive, the other uses Time Machine. Keep in mind that SuperDuper is not yet Leopard compatible, should be soon.

O.K, here's a twist. I have an external that is partitioned into two partitions, one for my SuperDuper clone and one that holds all of my pictures and music. How will Time Machine work with that setup? Should I erase my clone and point time machine to that partition? Or if I don't manually erase, will TM overwrite the clone? Either way is fine, I have a second external that I back up the first external to and take it offsite, so have protection either way. Just trying to figure out how this will all work with the partitions I have.

Thanks in advance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.