Help For A Noob

Reaction score
need to know how to set my macbook (new) to not go to sleep when the lid is closed i want it to do nothing(except turn off the screen) when i close the lid is this possible???

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Hi steelshot, this should be possible.

Have you checked out Power Saving options in System Preferences?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It's possible...and a search will tell you how...but it's not advisable.

If you're going to pack up the computer, it should be off, both to save power and to prevent it from overheating in whatever bag/case you'll be packing it in.

If you're not transporting it, then there's no reason to close the lid and put more wear on the hinge. You'd be better off setting the display brightness to zero.

Reaction score
There is a great reason to close the lid and have it on, technologist. What if you use a 30" display at home connected to the laptop and you have absolutely no need for the puny display on the laptop? On my desk, I have a 30" display and the laptop being open would just get in the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There is a great reason to close the lid and have it on, technologist. What if you use a 30" display at home connected to the laptop and you have absolutely no need for the puny display on the laptop? On my desk, I have a 30" display and the laptop being open would just get in the way.

If you have an external display, mouse, and keyboard attached, then there is no problem, as you've probably figured out by now. The computer will wake whenever a USB device is connected, or whenever a button on a USB/Bluetooth mouse or keyboard is pressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
To the person who left - Why not check out things yourself before "answering?" on my profile. I was just trying to help this person out and was no where near a Apple computer when I answered. Or an Apple laptop for that matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
need to know how to set my macbook (new) to not go to sleep when the lid is closed i want it to do nothing(except turn off the screen) when i close the lid is this possible???

thanks

go to www.macupdate.com and search "sleepless" and "insomniax"

as other posters have already said this is not a good idea to use these programs. If you do try them read the WARNINGS!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.