Connecting 2 iMacs

Reaction score
I bought my 20" iMac in July, just before the new ones went to market. My friend is awaiting delivery on an Apple-refurbished model ..exact same computer as mine.

She has a number of photographs stored on my iMac, and we'd like to get those moved over to her iMac, along with some other things.

I know there must be a pretty straightforward way to go about this, but I'm not familiar with the process. Perhaps we could connect via Firewire? That would make pretty short work of things.

Any help is appreciated, thx:)

Reaction score
Here's a link to the Apple Doc about how to use Firewire Target Disc Mode ... as usual with Macs, there are always more than one way to achieve something but if you already have a Firewire cable then go with that .... it's fairly straightforward, just be sure to eject the disc icon from the Host computors desktop (as you normally would do with an iPod) before disconnecting the cable ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sawtooth G4 and PB G4 w/FW800
Firewire target disk mode, Wireless networking (peer to peer), ethernet crossover cable, firewire networking. Lots of choices.

An external hard drive (this includes all but the newwest iPods) or firewire target disk mode would require the least amount of fuss (all the others require some sort of network setup).

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
The above are great solutions. Also there is the option of emailing her the files. But for large amounts of data it'd take way too long.

There is the the screen sharing thing via ichat. But you'd both need 10.5 for that. And I think it'd only run at your internet speeds anyway.Another option is to burn the photos to cd or dvd and load the newly burnt disc into the other computer. But I think your firewire option via a local network or target disk mode would be the fastest for large amounts of data.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hey thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I'm rigged with Firewire, so we'll just run a cable, let them talk to each other and follow the directions.

Appreciate the help!:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.