Softer fonts when moving to a larger monitor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone 5, Apple TV
I know this has been discussed before but I wanted to post anyway.

I had a 19" Viewsonic LCD running 1440x900 and OSX looked great, I recently upgraded to a 22" Viewsonic LCD however I noticed the fonts are much softer looking than before. I have never had a problem with the fonts in OSX, I actually preferred it over Windows.

I tried all the settings to change the fonts smoothing but they were all similar.

My question is, is it just because my monitor is bigger that I notice it even more now? The new monitor's res is 1680x1050 which is the native res for the monitor. I can live with it, it's not a big deal but I just seemed like a big change to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I don't really think that there is much you can do. Apple intentionally makes their fonts softer. It is a style decision. See the section on Font Rendering in my Linux to Mac Switchers Guide:

http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html

This section describes this in detail, and provides screen shots, taken at 1600x1200, for the same web page rendered on all of Mac OS X, Windows XP and Linux.

OP
Josh_MacMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone 5, Apple TV
Thanks for the reply, it must be that I am just noticing it more now with a larger monitor, not a big deal, I don't mind it, just didn't expect it to look that much different as compared to before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Yes, I have to admit that I really struggled with this when I first came over to Mac. I was used to the rough jagged fonts of Windows and it took a while to get used to the smoother softer fonts on Mac. Don't worry, you will get used to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.