Is Airport Exteme That Easy?

Reaction score
From most of what I've read Airport Extreme seems pretty easy to set up...I am a total idiot when it comes to networking...I CAN read, fairly well actually and I think I can follow directions but networking freaks me out...

I'm getting an iMac 24" in a week and a new wireless HP printer...not sure which one yet...I have a teenaged daughter that runs a Toshiba laptop and needs Internet access as well as access to the printer...

When it comes to networking think of the dumbest person you know and multiply it by about 10...That's me...

Should I attempt this myself or am I just setting myself up for heartache and dispair...???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Setting up most wireless routers is relatively easy, but the configuration software for Airport is even more user-friendly.

You just need to make sure ahead of time whether that HP printer will be compatible with the router and your new Mac. Do you know the exact model for the printer? That way we can help you out with that little detail. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo mac book 2gigs ram, 16gig Ipad 2, 16gig Nano, 2 32gig Iphone 4s
just to let you know. If you plug the printer into the airport, you won't be able to use the scan or copy option. You will be able to print from both computers, but if you want to scan or copy you will have to plug it in to the computer directly.

OP
M
Reaction score
HHhmmmm...What if the printer is not plugged into either...??? Can I operate it completely wirelessly and have use of all three functions...???

That seems a little misleading if "they" say it's wireless but only 1/3 of the functions are available...

Is this HP only or is this the case with all printers...???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
just to let you know. If you plug the printer into the airport, you won't be able to use the scan or copy option. You will be able to print from both computers, but if you want to scan or copy you will have to plug it in to the computer directly.

Thats really not true. I have a Brother MFC420 and it is plugged into the Airport Extreme The scan function works perfectly as does the printing.

Reaction score
I think I'm the only one who doesnt believe it is THAT easy. I've never gotten rid of the flashing amber light, and I have to reboot my modem almost daily.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.