external hard drive questions

Reaction score
i just bought an hp 300 gb external hard drive and i (was a complete moron) saw that it was only compatible with windows xp, vista, and windows media center...anyways

i have a 13inch white macbook, 1.5 memory, 120gb hd and im getting leopard in a few days, and i need it for my backup
you know; 'time machine, music, movies, etc...etc...'

is there a way to crack this hard drive for it to still work on my mac, or should i just sell it on ebay and get something else?

any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
What kind of drive is it? If it is USB it should work fine. Just plug it in and wait to see if OS X recognizes it. You just won't be able to use the bundled software, which is usually rubbish any way.

OP
I
Reaction score
product description.

# Drive specification: Standard 3.5" ATA drive
# Drive capacity: 300 GB; 7200 RPM
# System interface: Standard USB 2.0 B-type Connector 1 (backward compatible with 1.1),12 Volt DC Input Connector, Power LED Indicator- Blue, Activity LED Indicator-Amber(Yellow),Kensington lock slot, Temperature-sensing internal cooling fan.
# Storage Solution:Sonic, Back Up My PC Special Edition, Adobe Acrobat for reading User Guide.
# HP Media Drive Carton Contents: Hard disk drive in cartridge, Quick Start guide (Poster-style setup illustrations), USB 2.0 B-type to A-type cable (approx. 2 M length), External AC/DC power adapter with removable power cord and DC output cable (12V), CD-ROM (SW drivers/utilities, Sonic Back Up My PC SE, Users Guide),Warranty guide.
# Cartridge power requirements: Input Voltage: 12 VDC +/- 10%.
# AC Power Adapter: Universal external power adapter (in-line, not wall mount), Power cord, International agency approvals, AC input voltage: 100 to 240 VAC,AC input frequency: 47 to 63 Hz,Output voltage: 12 VDC.
# Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP Home, Professional, and Media Center Edition Edition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Yeah, the only thing that won't work is the included software. OS X should recognize the drive just fine. You may have to reformat the drive but I doubt it. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey :)

The backup drive i use with my macbook said it was only compatable with XP etc. Plugged it in and it worked fine with OSX :D
The software they bundle with it wont work, but its usually pretty useless software.

Enjoy your new drive and Leopard :D

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
Tender and Babar are right. Things that are ok for Windows tend to work just fine on Macs. While you may not be able to boot from that drive, it'll do what you need it to do, backup stuff. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Correct. You can not boot OSX from a USB device, but it will work fine for backups. The box says Windows only because the software included is only for Windows machines. This actually has nothing to do with the hardware itself. They can't include OSX on the compatibility list because there is no need for the crap software they include with the drive itself and they are to lazy to bother considering it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.