MacBook Pro update wish list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to be a Proud owner of a MBP in January
Basically, I want to know what would be ONE new feature you would like on the new MacBook Pros, if they make any major changes.
I'm hoping they update it in January 08.
It can even be a long shot like, supporting 8gb of ram, but whatever.
The important thing is you are only allowed ot type ONE thing you would like on the new Macbook Pros.

Okay, I'll go first.

More USB ports!!!! Honestly, on the 15" MBPs 2 USB ports are just not enough. I'm not sure if I'm the only one who thinks this but 2 is the minimum amount of USBs i need. And I know you can plug a USB hub in, but that just makes it look ugly....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Bigger hard drive, I'm good with everything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Mac Book Pro 2.4GHz HD display, Wacom I3 , WD myBook 500G, intel mac mini, 24"imac(white)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Touch screen/trackpad type keyboard.

Imagine that! to make it still have a tactile feel for touch typing, the surface could have avery thin rubber coating for each key.

I guess the only thing it would improve is there would be less chance of the keys breaking and possibly make production cheaper.

Can we really only post one? I have a ton.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, can't pick only one
C2D overclocked to 3.7Ghz
dual nVidia 8800 Ultra's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Insane 20 hour battery life o_O!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4
$1000 price tag

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If we're going to go a little crazy on ideas, maybe 120GB of flash memory, but the same price tag! That would certainly help Sennec get closer to 20 hrs of battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
I dont have a MBP (yet -- it's shipping now :D ), but I second the comment about more USB ports... My current PC laptop has 4 USB Ports, and even that's not enough for me.

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
beter speakers. i that the stock ones

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
realistically, i'd like them to do a macbook-style keyboard, but obviously leave it silver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont have a MBP (yet -- it's shipping now :D ), but I second the comment about more USB ports... My current PC laptop has 4 USB Ports, and even that's not enough for me.

J

Ports aren't a issue for me. At home I use a USB hub and wouldn't want it any other way. I couldn't imagine have to unhook/rehook 4+ USB devices every time I take my laptop somewhere, I just have one to connect for 6 devices. And USB hubs, powered and portable, are pretty cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
Built in multi-memory card reader. I know you can get an external one or even a expresscard version, but inbuilt would be cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
COULD NOT pick just one:
-a cooling system that will keep it at a reasonable operating temperature (<65*C for the CPU, GPU, northbridge and RAM @ 100% load in a 75*F room)
-Socketed CPU
-Core2 Extremes (the 2.8GHz 'Extreme' in the iMac is a mobile part)
-Respectable (read: GeForce 7950m) GPU
-4 ram slots (it has been done on notebooks before) & support for 8GB of RAM
-user upgradeable hard drive
-15" 1920x1200 screen (have one on my Dell; it's perfectly readable)
-2nd mouse button on trackpad
-eSATA

OP
ChaePod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's interesting to see what everyone wants lol.

ROFTLOL at 20 hours of bat life, and $1000 price drop.

Hey Fleurya, do usb hubs slow down performance? eg. If you hooked up 2 external Hard drives that transfer at 100mbps each, and you used a USB hub, would they each transfer at 50mbps??
I just don't like the look of a USB hub a laptop :(
BTW is your name pronounced FLEW-REE-A? Just wondering lol :D

I also want a better GPU!!! (sorry couldn't help myself ;D)

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
Hey Fleurya, do usb hubs slow down performance? eg. If you hooked up 2 external Hard drives that transfer at 100mbps each, and you used a USB hub, would they each transfer at 50mbps??(sorry couldn't help myself ;D)

I know I'm not Fleurya, and I'm not sure if you were referring to bits or byes, however...

USB2.0 "can possibly" run at 480Mb/sec. 480 megabits per second translates to 60 megabytes per second. That being said..

USB2 is multiple channel like most things, if you hook up 2 devices, neither will run at full speed. However, unlike FireWire, USB is limited to 40MB/sec on each device, EVEN IF that is the only device attached. Therefore, if you have one external drive installed, the fastest it will ever see is 40MB/sec, where if you have 2 drives installed, (if they are both operating at the same time), the fastest they will ever reach is 30MB/sec. Not as much of a speed decrease, and probably not even noticeable unless you're transferring HUGE files. Then again, if you're just transferring to one drive, you're back up to the original 40MB/sec.

Keep in mind, this is all just mathematical theory as we all know that USB2.0 has never seen speeds this high anyway. If any of you have, I'd like to see screenshots. :) I hate USB for storage. Apple made Firewire for a reason.

OP
ChaePod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the great info..

How much faster is firewire's transfer rate?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
Theoretically speaking, USB2.0 is faster than Firewire, at 480Mbps vs. 400Mbps for Firewire. In the real world, I have always found that Firewire devices are faster by a VERY significant margin.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.