iPod Touch won't work on an airplane?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook:: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo::1 Gig of RAM::160 Gigabyte Hard drive::10.4.10
From the Apple Website:
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

Well, most airliners fly well over 26,000 feet, so does this mean it won't work onboard an airliner? I've never used an iPod aboard a plane, but I've never had a problem with ANY electronic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Can you post a link to what you're referring to? If it has anything to do with altitude, it must be something along the lines of atmospheric conditions, in which case an airplane's atmosphere is closed and controlled.

I can't imagine why it would just not work when above 10,000 feet. I guess that means I can't listen to my music on it and ski at high altitudes at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Airplanes are pressurized, so it doesn't matter. If you carried it to the top of Mt. Everest, then you might have problems.

OP
Number13GT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook:: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo::1 Gig of RAM::160 Gigabyte Hard drive::10.4.10
Airplanes are pressurized, so it doesn't matter. If you carried it to the top of Mt. Everest, then you might have problems.

Never thought of that, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
Haha I was gunna say!

I've used my Shuffle in Jet's without any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Perhaps has to do with cooling - the thinner air at that altitude is less effective at carrying heat away perhaps? An odd specification for an electronic device...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Perhaps has to do with cooling - the thinner air at that altitude is less effective at carrying heat away perhaps? An odd specification for an electronic device...

The thinner air is less of an insulator as the air closer to the ground. Arcing can occur and damage electrical components.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
...an interesting thought. Makes sense.

This must mean that serious mountain climbing types can bring little to no electronics along? Perhaps there are special lines of electronics made for this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

Commercial jet aircraft (transport category) in the US are typically pressurized to 8,000 feet. In part this is due to federal regulations regarding provision of oxygen to passengers and pilot access to and use of oxygen (title 14 of Code of Federal Regulations). With cabin pressurization at 8,000 ft, the touch should work just fine in any typical flying situation.

My guess is that for the specs, these simply state the environmental range for which the touch is designed and has been tested to operate. I'd bet the touch would work at higher altitudes (lower pressures), though what puaerotch said seems reasonable.

Apple could design it to work at higher altitudes, but mostly their core market isn't going to use it in such conditions. Frankly I'd be more worried about the non-operating temperature of -4°F (-20°C), as some people could be expected to leave them in their cars overnight. There are plenty of places in the northern hemisphere that hit and go below those temperatures in the winter.

mac57, you bring up an interesting point about gear for serious mountain climbing types. Panasonic builds the Toughbook line of Windows laptops for rugged outdoor situations. My guess is that a serious mountain climber can find a servicable mp3 player. I just tried Googling "rugged mp3" and found some links that appear to be good.

Fwiw, Zune doesn't show environmental limits. My guess is they're either close or identical to the iPod line. Also, the new nano has the same limit on altitude, and probably similar specs on the other environmental characteristics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
It'll work fine because the cabin is pressurized. My touch works perfectly fine on my flights back and forth from Austin to DC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Apple could design it to work at higher altitudes, but mostly their core market isn't going to use it in such conditions. Frankly I'd be more worried about the non-operating temperature of -4°F (-20°C), as some people could be expected to leave them in their cars overnight. There are plenty of places in the northern hemisphere that hit and go below those temperatures in the winter.

[weather rant ] I wish it would go that cold... by this time of year we are normally down to pretty cold temperatures out, and right now its 80 out side and the air conditioning is on.. 2 years ago i met my girlfriend around this time and i remember the night like it was yesterday... it was freezing cold! [/ end weather rant]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I don't see why global warming is such a bad thing. 80 degrees out at the end of October sounds like a great deal to me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Yeah, but 100+ in July/August and major ecological changes don't sound too great. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.