Will I get Safari 3 when Leopard comes out?

Reaction score
If I don't buy Leopard right away, will Safari 3 still be available via Software Update when it comes out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can currently get the beta of Safari 3, and the final version will most likely be available for Tiger users, and possibly Panther users.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
I think I'm going to wait for the official version. Will it be available through software update, or do I have to go to the website and download it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure as I haven't had my Mac long enough to experience the update from version 1 to version 2. But we'll find out soon enough ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If it is made available to Tiger users, it'll be posted to Software Update.

Whether or not it will be available to Tiger users is not clear. In fact, it's a question I've been wondering about.

Safari 2.0, for example, is exclusive to Tiger; Panther users are stuck at 1.2. At no time has Apple promised that the final Safari 3 would be available for Tiger. (In the WWDC keynote, Steve said there were "three versions" of Safari...One each for Leopard, XP, and Vista. No mention of Tiger.)

On the other hand, it seems wrong that Apple would make the final version of Safari 2 available to Windows XP users (a six-year-old OS from a competitor) and not to users of a two-year-old version of their own OS.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
Plus we can download the beta of Safari 3, so I can't imagine they wouldn't let us use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
Plus we can download the beta of Safari 3, so I can't imagine they wouldn't let us use it.

Might be their way of tempting us into upgrading to Leopard.

'Here's the BETA. Oh, I'm sorry, you got used to it. You're gonna have to upgrade to use the RTM version.'

Crack Dealer tactics if you ask me. ;D

-MikeM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

'Here's the BETA. Oh, I'm sorry, you got used to it. You're gonna have to upgrade to use the RTM version.'

-MikeM

There's precedent for that, too.

iChat 1.0 was included with Jaguar.
iChat A/V (2.0) was released as a free beta for Jaguar.
The final version of iChat 2 was included with Panther, and a $29 upgrade for Jaguar.

But Apple was at least upfront in warning that the final version would not be free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I have a feeling Safari 3 will be included in the 10.4.11 update, but I have no evidence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

-MikeM

Apple did that with Boot Camp too. The final version is only available to Leopard users.

But forcing people to upgrade for a browser somehow doesn't sit right...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
well even if Safari 3 is exclusive to leopard, if you got the beta before the leopard release will you be able to continue to use it after friday?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I guess the answer is yes you can use the beta, no you dont get the new version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have a feeling Safari 3 will be included in the 10.4.11 update, but I have no evidence.

I'd be really surprised if their even IS a 10.4.11 update. At best Tiger users can expect security updates and that's about it. The drive will be to get people to switch to 10.5 sooner rather then later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.