OS 10.4 - Hardware Diagnostics Test Not Loading

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
I got my replacement macbook a couple days ago
It is a Core 2 Duo Macbook and my old macbook was a core duo
Well what i found out today is that when i stick in my install disk and hold D, apples hardware test wont work it says that it is not compatible with my machine
should the applestore given me the install disks for my new core 2 duo macbook? because all they gave me was the macbook itself?

also when I hold down C and boot from the cd i get a message saying this software cannon be installed on this computer
should i go back to the store and ask for the new disks? or should I just wait for leapord which I have on order?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You should definitely go back and get an exchange for the discs because yours essentially are useless for the replacement machine they gave you. Someday you might need to run those hardware tests or restore the machine but you won't be able to because the discs aren't compatible with your "new" machine. You should get these replaced regardless of whether or not you'll be getting Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Hardware Diagnostics Test Not Loading

When I first got my MacBook Pro I tried to run the tests by holding D at startup (with OS X install disc 1 in the drive of-course) just to make sure nothing was faulty on my new Mac. No dice. I was kinda too excited to worry about it, but after I installed Xcode from the disc the other day I thought I'd try it again... no matter how I altered my timing in pressing the D key, it would just boot straight into OS X.

Any clues?

Reaction score
Well what i found out today is that when i stick in my install disk and hold D, apples hardware test wont work it says that it is not compatible with my machine
should the applestore given me the install disks for my new core 2 duo macbook? because all they gave me was the macbook itself?

When you handed in your Core Duo I believe you should have also handed in the Discs that belong to that machine.

By the same token your new Core 2 Duo should come complete with it's own set of install Discs so you need to make sure you follow this up with the AppleStore you normally deal with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
When I first got my MacBook Pro I tried to run the tests by holding D at startup (with OS X install disc 1 in the drive of-course) just to make sure nothing was faulty on my new Mac. No dice. I was kinda too excited to worry about it, but after I installed Xcode from the disc the other day I thought I'd try it again... no matter how I altered my timing in pressing the D key, it would just boot straight into OS X.

Any clues?

You could try holding the key that actually boots the disc, which would be "C" ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.