Admin rights

Reaction score
What do you do when you are logged on as an admin and you are told you don't have rights to install software? I'm trying to install scanner software on a user's mac. Got the you don't have access error. Bumped the user up to an admin. Same error. Logged off and back on as an admin. Rebooted and logged on as an admin. Same error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,33 Ghz , 2GB Ram , 120 GB HDD , X1600
Maybe you ned to write a password in graph Password: ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Perform a fix permissions, maybe.

Check once again that "Allow user to administer this computer" has a check mark to the left of it.

You could look at the log files and perhaps figure out exacly where the error is being caused. That could lead to a solution. The application to use for that is /Applications/Utilities/Console.app

If the above leads you no where, then call the software manufacturer and ask them what is wrong with their flakey installer.

OP
S
Reaction score
What do you do when an admin...

doesn't have enough rights to install a program?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Usually an admin password should suffice. But if not you can always use the root user. But I'd be careful there as with that you can do a lot of damage to your system if you don't know what your doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've never heard of a program that required root privileges to install. Is this a UNIX thing or are you on OSX Server?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If something requires root access, then it isn't such a good idea to mess with it.
Also, this might be a silly question, but are you sure you have full admin priviliege on the machine you are using?

Reaction score
What exactly is it that you are trying to install? I'm just curious and it might help everyone here figure it out.

OP
S
Reaction score
On one machine it's the Canon scanner software; on another machine it's the Cisco VPN client. I've tried various admin users (and repaired permissions) on both machines and they always say I don't have enough permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.