need compact bus powered USB 2.0 hub for macbook

Reaction score
hi

i am using my intel macbook to DJ using traktor software, and need to connect three USB 2.0 peripherals in order to be able to do so, an M-Audio Transit Soundcard, a Kontrol DJ controller and an iPod Classic. Because there are only 2 usb ports on the macbook, i am going to need some kind of USB hub/splitter which i would like to be bus powered and small for transportation. Ideally it would only have 2 ports, but it seems like even the smallest hubs have 4 ports. I am aware that there may be power issues if two devices are connected to a bus powered hub, and that it depends on how much power each device draws.

So i have 3 questions: (i) is it possible to use 2 bus powered usb devices on a bus powered hub on the macbook? (ii) is there a way of testing how much power each device draws? (iii) i understand that some bus powered hubs are better at handling multiple devices than others. can someone recommend a good hub for my purpose?

thanks

nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
I have a Belkin USB 2.0 powered hub and it works fine. If requires a power outlet to get power to all 4 of the ports. It runs fine I have my mouse, printer and iPod running off of it.

OP
N
Reaction score
are you saying that with the three devices it will run ok on bus power, but for any more you would need to use the power outlet?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.