Best HP Printer...???

Reaction score
I’m switching over to an iMac 24” next week. Redoing my entire home office including getting the Airport Extreme router.

Since I’m already spending way too much money I’m also going to buy a new printer. Pardon my ignorance but here goes: Are there printers that are Mac specific or do most printers work on either Mac or Windows platform?

I’ve always owned HP printers and have never been disappointed. My printing needs are as follows: Spreadsheet and Word type docs for my job as well as sales flyers (not in bulk just to present to the sales manager). My daughter has a PC laptop and needs to print out schoolwork and stuff wirelessly.

Here is a list of the printers I’m looking at along with a link and a little hype from HP.

Any feedback would be appreciated as well as any traps or unknowns that a newbie might need to be aware of. Thanks in advance for your input.

HP C8100 Photosmart Printer, Scanner, Copier

HP C8100 Photosmart printer Quickly store photos on CDs/DVDs with built-in burner, get industry leading scanning and personalize your archives .The HP C8100 Photosmart printer fastest and easiest way to print photos at home starts with the 3.5-inch touchscreen,The HP C8100 Photosmart printer Finish jobs faster by printing at blazing speeds—up to 34 ppm black and 33 ppm color.
(This one is on the list only because my wife could burn a CD of her digital photos)

HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One

Our versatile Photosmart C7280 All–in-One is ready to print, scan, copy, and fax as directed. It's ready to turn out lab-quality photos and reprints, laser-quality documents, and beautiful scans. It will print on both sides of the page, print uncut Web pages1, and automatically feed paper so you don't have to stand around. And you can even add it to your home network, as it has built-in wireless2 and Ethernet connectivity.

HP Officejet Pro L7780 Color All-in-One

Want a multifunction color printer that offers the convenience of wireless networking1? Our Officejet Pro L7780 is right for all your small-office printing, faxing, copying, and scanning needs. Plus you can scan photos and documents (up to legal size) directly to folders—without a PC—using our Direct Digital Filing feature.

HP Photosmart C6180 All-in-One

The HP Photosmart C6180 All-in-One series is designed for busy home users who enjoy using the latest technology to get things done and are looking for a networkable all-in-one offering advanced paper handling and ultra-fast photo printing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel 2.4 ghz
New Printer

Hiya,
I'm new to mac myself. I bought the HP7460 Photosmart. Six Individual ink tanks
and awesome pics. It prints plain documents as well. Thats my recomendation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone
I bought a HP Desk-jet F2180 only yesterday, been scanning in all my old photos its great, its not professional quality but its great for what I need & a bargain in the sales at £45 thats about $90 I think

Reaction score
I am using an HP All-in-one F340 and have had no problems with it. Additionally I am using the Photosmart Studio that came with it instead of iPhoto - it is world's better.

Reaction score
Perhapse I am wrong here, but it has been my experience, and the advise of the people who speak to me through my phone, that a "all-in-one" or the scanner printer copier blah blah, will not be fully-functional through airport... This was my experience, but papanohair seems to have "had no problems" I wonder if I was lied to... just a warning...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Last year I went with a Canon instead of HP. The only problem I've had (a big one) is that while I decided to use bluetooth (and it works great) it will not scan in the BT wireless mode. I'd have to plug it in to scan. This is not going to happen, so my "all in one" as far as the scanner goes is useless. I wasn't told this when I bought the printer from the Apple store.
So if you're interested in scanning wireless, make sure whatever you buy will do this.

Reaction score
Perhapse I am wrong here, but it has been my experience, and the advise of the people who speak to me through my phone, that a "all-in-one" or the scanner printer copier blah blah, will not be fully-functional through airport... This was my experience, but papanohair seems to have "had no problems" I wonder if I was lied to... just a warning...

point of clarification: I am not using airport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo (Aluminum & Glass) 260 GB HD
In my experience, and everyone I know who owns a Mac has opted for an HP Printer. I myself, not using the printer very often got a PhotoSmart C5280 (i believe thats the number); I know others who have laserjets, and my father even went through about 3 printers before settling with HP (he tried Canon, Brother, Lexmark... the entire time I urged him to go with HP)... so you can't really lose, full functionality on HP Printers which is great!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.