share internet connection via internal airport with windows

Reaction score
I am not able to share my wired Internet connection to my Mac via the internal wifi card.

Here is my setup:

Intel iMac
SBC DSL modem plugged into my iMac via Ethernet

What I would like to do is to have the iMac share this wired, Ethernet connection via wifi.

What I did:

-Firewall turned off
-personal internet sharing turned on
-share internet connection tab has SBC DSL as the sharing source (there is no option for Ethernet) (this changed when I installed the SBC software on my mac to configure my modem)
-share internet connection tab has airport as what it will be shared through
-airport options (currently) has a network name, channel set to auto, and no security options (as in, no wep password)
-I push start sharing on the share internet connection tab

What happens:

-On my XP laptop (and on my wifi-enabled phone), it sees the network I created on my mac
-When I try to connect to it (both on my phone and XP), it "tries" but then gives up

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM 500GB internal HDD + 1 TB Formac XTR External HDD - iPhone 3G 16 GB Black
I'm having the exact same problem ! any ideas? I have tried the above with both WEP on and off

OP
R
Reaction score
I got part of the way to solving this problem. First, I turned WEP off. Second, I observed the IP address of Airport. Then, I assigned to my device a manual ip address in the same series as that of the Airport. I then used the same dns server as the Mac has and set the subnet mask as well. I got it to work.

However, when turning on WEP, it didn't work.

OP
R
Reaction score
I got it to work! When you set the WEP key, make sure to set it as a "Shared" WEP key and not an "Open" WEP key.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.