will new os really be that easy to install

phc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel imac 24" 2.8GHz, 8GB ipod Nano, 16gb white iphone, 250gb apple tv, 8gb iphone.
im a new intel imac owner and i love it,compared to windows xp that i have been running Tiger is the dogs!!!. i have read numerous comments on people saying they want clean installs when they upload Lepoard and will back everything up etc befor upgrading to Lepoard. Is this really nessesarry,as it makes the upgrade seem like a real mission. Cant i just pop in the cd do some bits and let ir run. Isnt Mac ownership meant to be hassle free?

:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 Ghz 4GB RAM OS X 10.5.1
Hey phc, there are already several threads talking about the different installation possibilities of Leopard. I'm sure you'll find your answer in one of those threads. Just search for it.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Actually when you choose to upgrade you have 3 options:

1. Upgrade to leopard and leave all your files and settings just as they are

2. Upgrade to leopard and do a clean install. Just like the factory settings. But with one difference. All your old files will be put in a folder so it's like a clean install but you don't really loose any files. And this one is called "Archive and install" I believe.

3. Clean install. As above but everything is set back to the factory standard leopard. Your old settings and files are gone.

All you need to do when you upgrade is pick the one you want and it'll basically install itself.

You should back up everything if you choose option 3. But I think option 2 is a good way to do it as you don't need a back up then. But as you know Hard drives can fail and things can go wrong. I know really rare for a mac but still better safe then sorry.

[edit]Kash just beat me to posting. And read his link too. It has great info there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
im a new intel imac owner and i love it,compared to windows xp that i have been running Tiger is the dogs!!!. i have read numerous comments on people saying they want clean installs when they upload Lepoard and will back everything up etc befor upgrading to Lepoard. Is this really nessesarry,as it makes the upgrade seem like a real mission. Cant i just pop in the cd do some bits and let ir run. Isnt Mac ownership meant to be hassle free?

:Cool:

If you have not watched this check it out.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/guidedtour/small.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
As a new Imac owner, watching the video tour sure makes installing look easy. Do you veteran Mac owners think the video is accurate? Can I plan for a lunch date while it installs and come back to a shiny new OS?
Some of the other threads on the topic make it sound like I should take it to the genius bar and let them do the install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
/\ What Philooza said...../\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
all righty then. Looking forward to it. I guess I will have to order lunch in so I can be ready to play as soon as it is done.:D
Thanks for the answers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.