Just bought an imac a few months ago... is Leopard worth it?

Reaction score
I only purchased my Imac a few months ago, last run of the white version.

I'm finally getting the hang of Tiger and like it as an operating system. But my question is will Leopard be worth it?

Sure it looks prettier and has some handy features but it doesn't seem to be life changing software that justifies me spending even more cash. I watched the movie (well bits of it as it was huge!), and I couldn't see much more than minor tweaks or cosmetic redesign.

Is it worth seriously considering buying the upgrade if you've recently purchased?

Any feedback or opinions on this would be much appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.66
Might be

The biggest improvement that I see is the ability to preview documents and photos in finder. It was odd to me that you can not easily thumbnail a photo from Finder.

I also like the built in backup to an external drive. The way it automatically sames backwards in time using a external drive is great.

I will probably upgrade in a couple months. I will monitor boards like this to see if there are any bugs then take the plunge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Nobody needs it at the moment, and it's up to you to decide if you want it. If you don't find anything worthwhile about it, there's no point wasting your money!

It will be a requirement however in the next couple of years as programs eventually requiring 10.5 appear.

OP
J
Reaction score
The biggest improvement that I see is the ability to preview documents and photos in finder. It was odd to me that you can not easily thumbnail a photo from Finder.

I also like the built in backup to an external drive. The way it automatically sames backwards in time using a external drive is great.

I will probably upgrade in a couple months. I will monitor boards like this to see if there are any bugs then take the plunge.

I agree that thumbnails in finder was a suprise to me at first when i first switched form Windows. Also its a shame that there is no way to open one photo and scroll through them all in the same window like you can in windows.

An interesting feature that I'm considering is the improved foreign language options. My Girlfriend is Russian and it now offers better Russian support for example.

I guess I will end up waiting a few months also to let the waters clear so to speak and let Apple address any issues that arise immediately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.