getting an X11 fink binary to run from the doc?

F

fibbi

Hey everyone,

I'm a linux person, and while I do love OSX (on my powerbook), there are a few apps from the old world that I still like to use (gaim being one of them). However, while I can make a shortcut to the /sw/bin/gaim binary in my applications folder and its smart enough to run itself in an X11 rather than a regular terminal, I'd like to be able to run that from the doc. The problem is that it won't let me drag it to the doc. I've tried with little success to copy Calculator.app to Gaim.app and then copy the gaim binary to Gaim.app/Contents/MacOS/Gaim and then editting the XML files to point to it, but I haven't been able to make it work.

So, is there an easy way to get regular ole *nix binaries to run from the doc, or do I have to make a .app (and if so, can you reccomend a program to help me through the process)?

Thanks,
-fibbi

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here are two things, I would try. First make sure the file is executable. Then just rename the file, by adding .app to end of the file name. Then try dragging the file to the dock.

i know that you can place any file into the dock. it just sound like the file would not execute.

OP
F

fibbi

It seems that actually not everything can be dragged to the doc. It is definately executable, but when its just in plain binary format, it will run itself in X11 but not move to the doc, and when I rename it to .app, it will do neither.

Any suggestions?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It some like you have to run the x application, before you can run your program. I wonder if you can write either a shell script or an Apple script, that would call the X11 app and then your program. You maybe able to place that in the dock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.