Yellowing keypad AGAIN?

Reaction score
Okay, this is the third time I have had to deal with the yellowing key issue, it's starting to REALLY annoy me. The first time was about 4 months after I got the laptop, took it in about 5 months after owning it. Got it replaced everything was good for about 2 months, then it started to act up again. sucked it up for another 3 months, then got it replaced about a week ago. now it is back again! full out right on my left side keypad where I put my wrist most of the time when I use my mouse (natural WASD user I guess :/) and after a week of light use (only school) it is BACK AGAIN! Does apple never fix this? I am seriously considering not buying apple again just because they don't fix this sort of crap!

/rant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Hmmm...is this common? I don't know, I've never seen this on mine or any of my friend's laptops.

Is it something on your wrists?

OP
DigitalN.
Reaction score
I swear nothing is on my wrists, I clean my hands after every block with soap and water, and some purell just to be sure just so I could prevent this. I guess my efforts are futile :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I swear nothing is on my wrists, I clean my hands after every block with soap and water, and some purell just to be sure just so I could prevent this. I guess my efforts are futile :/

Could be the alcohol in the Purell?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
i never had this problem and i owned my macbook for a year
maybe it is because i clean it with i klear once a week? i dont know

OP
DigitalN.
Reaction score
somehow I am doubtful, as any other person in my class that has a laptop washes their hands the same as me, and their plastic is like it was 2 years ago when they bought it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I was thinking it was MBP aluminum...

I really have no idea. Have you tried googling anything about it?

OP
DigitalN.
Reaction score
yes but everyone always comes to the conclusion of taking it back to apple, or buying a case. I am sick and tired of taking it back to apple, I bought my laptop to use it for work, I need it for my grad meetings and school work, and I bought my laptop to show it off too, I don't like to cover my stuff up with cases, if I wanted to do that I would have bought an iPod. It also doesn't help the apple dealer is 2 hours away, that is a lot of gas for a student in high school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Completely understandable. Try giving Apple a call. Tell them everything in that post. Don't be mean about it, just tell them how frustrated you are. Either they will do something about it, or you will be in the same position you are in now. Can't hurt :p

Good luck

OP
DigitalN.
Reaction score
yeah, I don't want to have to send my laptop back into apple. *sigh*

I am thinking about just getting a black keypad, maybe that will solve my problems :)

thanks for the help, just had to vent a little, I am pretty angry about it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro

I am thinking about just getting a black keypad, maybe that will solve my problems :)

You should be angry about it. Its a product flaw that Apple should address.

Reaction score

Sorry to hear about your problems, perhaps the black keypad is a viable option. It almost sounds like plastic is interacting with something in your skin oils. I am not blaming you, like your doing something wrong just a plausible explanation which would mean it will continue indefinitely until you either change to a dark color or somehow seal the computer from direct contact maybe like a BSE or bodygardz on the touchpad/hand rest area. Is it just the hand rests or the keys as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Have you considered an invisible shield to protect that area? I'm sure someone sells a clear piece of vinyl to put over just that area. I had an IS on my wife's macbook and when I peeled it off to sell it the macbook looked as nice as the day I bought it.

I may even have part of an IS leftover for that area that you can have for a couple bucks + shipping...

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.16ghz,2 gigs ram, 120gigs--ipod nano red 4 gig--ipod vid 30 gig black-- rip macbook
why not put stickers there? get some electronic wipes too. it really helps. do u smoke? may be a stupid question but i kno it happens and has happened. why not ask for a black keyboard and trackboard and top?

OP
DigitalN.
Reaction score
I want to get a shield for it, except I have no way of getting one for my Macbook. I also had one for my iPod, but I didn't like how grippy it was and how it collected and trapped in the dirt so easily.

The keys are not turning yellow too, just the wrist, probably because I don't spend a lot of time typing, I just rest my hand there when I surf the net too.

No I don't smoke, and also don't really want to ugly up my laptop with stickers, I am more of a keep something original looking kind of guy, and hate it when people put stickers on their laptops :(

Reaction score
Have you considered an invisible shield to protect that area? I'm sure someone sells a clear piece of vinyl to put over just that area. I had an IS on my wife's macbook and when I peeled it off to sell it the macbook looked as nice as the day I bought it.

I may even have part of an IS leftover for that area that you can have for a couple bucks + shipping...

T

Does applying that vinyl increased the macbooks temp? And is it visible or barely noticable? Do you have a link to where I can buy some?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
google invisible shield. It's expensive, but like I said I think I may have the palm rest parts that you can have cheap if thats all you want. Otherwise I think you have to buy the whole shield from them, but I'm not positive. If you put them on and don't like them you can peel them off easy. It does not effect heat that I've ever noticed.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook
Call apple, it sucks parting from the computer but you have to sometimes. Explain to them everything (nicely lol) and then ask what are your options. If they say they can simply replace the keyboard again, try asking if you could get it replaced with a black keypad to avoid future problems. My friend did get an entirely new MB after 2 issues with the yellowing. You just have to be nice, but firm in person or on the phone, and get lucky you get a decent employee. Good Luck.

OP
DigitalN.
Reaction score
Call apple, it sucks parting from the computer but you have to sometimes. Explain to them everything (nicely lol) and then ask what are your options. If they say they can simply replace the keyboard again, try asking if you could get it replaced with a black keypad to avoid future problems. My friend did get an entirely new MB after 2 issues with the yellowing. You just have to be nice, but firm in person or on the phone, and get lucky you get a decent employee. Good Luck.

I would love to be able to part with my laptop, but it is my only computer, and I use it for pretty much all of my school work and housework, which really limits my options as to what I can do for replacement. I will try calling them and asking for a black one or something (maybe I'll get a MBP :D) thanks for the suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
This is the main reason I went with the Black macbook. But then you have the fingerprint issue to deal with. ;)

Anyways, I mention it, as maybe you can convince them to let you trade it in for a Black one. Maybe they can swap your internals into a black Macbook enclosure/screen. Just a suggestion.

The Black one does show fingerprints VERY easily, if that sort of thing bothers you. But it's nothing a quick wipe with a damp cloth can't take care of. You just need to keep on it if you want it to look pristine.

-Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.