How to create slimmed down disk images?

Reaction score
Like many others before me, I have gotten annoyed with how tedious it can be to carry around my game cd's with my Macbook every time I want to play.

I have successfully created disc images for all of my games, using Disk Utility or Toast, (such as Warcraft III, Civilization, etc), however I would like to know a way of stripping almost all of the files out of the disc image that I create. That way I could mount an image of hopefully only a few mb, but still have it pass the disc check from the game...

I've tried making a data image with toast, but to no avail...

I remember reading in a forum somewhere that someone had done this successfully, but with no instructions on how.

Also, please don't tell me just to find a no-cd crack.:D If I wanted a solution that simple I wouldn't bother posting!

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I can't even get some of my games to recognize a CD image as a real CD, much less after having removed files from the CD image. Good luck with that.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Well I know it might not work with everything, but certain games that only check that the cd is there (that I already have working with images), without needing to read any files from it, can probably be fooled that way.

I remember on PC sometimes it could be done, however I haven't ben able to find any way to actually remove files from a disk image on a mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.