gray screen that say you must restart you computer

Reaction score
I bought my ibook g4 August of 2005. I haven't had a single problem with it until now. It keeps popping up a gray screen that say you must restart you computer. Also the screen will darken slightly when this happens. Someone refered to it as "kernal freaking"(?). Is there anything I can do? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver MB 2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB RAM
I bought my ibook g4 August of 2005. I haven't had a single problem with it until now. It keeps popping up a gray screen that say you must restart you computer. Also the screen will darken slightly when this happens. Someone refered to it as "kernal freaking"(?). Is there anything I can do? Thanks!!

reformat ur hd by reinstalling macos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes, you are experiencing a Kernel Panic.

Reinstalling the OS and doing a reformat probably won't be necessary.
If this is a recurring issue and you don't know how to troubleshoot it this article should help.

Reaction score
I hope you didn't reformat yet. If you didn't give this a try, it worked for me a number of times:

If you have a firmware password entered in your computer, turn on computer and hold down Option+Apple+O+F keys. If you don't have a firmware password on, then you can skip this. If you do have it, Then:

Wait for the white firmware page to open. Type in "reset-nvram" and enter your open firmware password you set. Then type in "reset-all" which will restart the computer.

(You can start here if you have no firmware password on). When you hear the chime, hold down Apple+S keys until you see a black screen. This will boot it in single user mode.

Type in "/sbin/fsck -fy" (note the space after fsck). This will check for any errors on your disk. Once it finishes checking it may or may not find any errors. Type in "exit" and this should boot the OS.

If you had a firmware password on your computer, you can put it back on and then restart your computer.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.