Can 12" satisfy?

P

pitythefool

Right, I'm convinced on the 'is a Mac ok' front (this thread) - now, I'm going to be getting an iBook, I tried to convince myself I could stretch to a PB, simply because I've got used to higher resolutions, but looking at Mr. Bank-Balance, it's not going to happen.

So, seeing as I'll only be getting 1024x768 anyway, is it worth spending the extra to get a 14", or will a 12" suffice? In terms of real estate, I'll be getting the same (so it's not worth going into the uses), so how much difference does the extra screen-size actually make?

It's a tough call, because I'm getting really used to the dual, 19" screen set-up I've got at work, and even going home to my 17" TFT is tough...

Sorry for all the questions, but I wanna make sure I'm going to be happy. If there were actually somewhere around here that stocked more than one Apple product, it might make life a little easier ;)

OP
J

jaetique

I have no idea, honestly. I just got my iBook 12" a little over a week ago and I love it. The large screens might be nice if you don't like to squint, but personally I just increase font size. The screens that Macs have are really easy on the eye. Even more so than PC laptops. I've not had a problem so far and I use this thing for hours each day at a go.

It depends on you, really. I chose the 12" because the 14" would be heavier and therefore less portable (in my opinion). I'd rather be toting a lighter machine.

What I would suggest is go to the Apple store and play around with them. Stare at the screen a little longer. The main thing is you don't want to regret your decision.

OP
C

Cloudane

I'm 100% comfortable with mine, I had worries too but in the end I have no regrets whatsoever and am glad for the extra portability :)

It's actually better (clearer, crisper etc) at displaying 1024x768 than my 17" Iiyama CRT. I suppose if you're used to a 20" cinema screen or something then it might seem small :p But if you're used to 1024x768 anyway like I was, you'll find it's great to look at and nothing looks small.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Cloudane said:
I'm 100% comfortable with mine, I had worries too but in the end I have no regrets whatsoever and am glad for the extra portability :)

It's actually better (clearer, crisper etc) at displaying 1024x768 than my 17" Iiyama CRT. I suppose if you're used to a 20" cinema screen or something then it might seem small :p But if you're used to 1024x768 anyway like I was, you'll find it's great to look at and nothing looks small.

Not sure about the 20" but on the 23" you get WYSISYG and if your working on a DPS, you shouldn't need to re-match the proofs, provided all your colour calibrations have been set properly. It's like yay! Display equals output without problems.

OP
T

TylerMoney

12" makes me happy :)..I'd say the 12" is sufficient, and since the 12 and 14 have the same resolution, it'll look better on the 12...and after that, it's just a matter of can you do your work on a 12" screen or not. I can say I can work on the 12" just fine ;)

Reaction score
My PC set up, as of a week ago, sported dual monitors, each 17" and each running at 1024x768. I have been playing with my new 12" iBook all day today and have not really missed the bigger screen size at all. Granted, i have perfect vision, but I really can't see myself asking for a bigger size, save for watching movies. But I have a VGA to TV converter for that, so that isn't even a concern.

OP
H

Haylcron

I just recently purchased a 15" powerbook. I looked very closely at the 12", and that was my problem... I had to look very closely. With the larger screen size I can sit back comfortably and use the pb without strain or inconvenience. Sure, it weighs more than the 12 inch, but I'll trade a few ounces for the ability to lay on the couch and comfortably use this great machine without having to have it on my chest to read the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Actually... the text size between each of the PowerBook and iBook are identical, so if your gonna strain your eye's, you'll be doing it on all. The larger screen size is nice if you gonna make use of applications that have pallets, multi toolbars and tool boxes. Other than this, there isn't much difference besides cost and features. Surprisingly the current range of iBooks will out perform the older Ti PowerBooks. Now there's food for thought.

I think 12" iBooks are cute, good for users on a budget that don't require anything too fancy. They can connect to other displays but only work as a mirror. However, 12" PowerBooks are really nice, very cute and loaded with features! They even have a mini DVI port to connect to digital monitors or TFT's, you can choose between mirror or dual, offering support up to 2048 x 1536 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors.

Both are so compact you can just carry them everywhere, the bigger the screen size, the heavier they become as Apple squeezes in more juice to power the bigger display, hence a bigger battery.

Bottom line... if you have the money, then go for the 12" Powerbook, if your gonna make use of all it's features and it's power. Otherwise a iBook will do. Also think about resale value... the PowerBook range will tend to keep the value for longer, for some insane reason.

Happy shopping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.