how does one set up a "?communal drop box"

Reaction score
We have a G5 computer running OSX 10.4.10 that several family members use with their own log in. I am wondering if it is possible to set up a folder that all account users can see on their desktop and modify, a sort of 'communal drop box' with no permission restrictions?
Any help appreciated.
Dvoira

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There's a Shared folder already, inside the Users folder on your hard disk.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. But is it possible to get this folder to appear on each users desktop and if you drag an item to it for it to then appear in the other users folder on their desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Create an alias... Right click the folder, select "Make Alias", then drag that alias to the desktop.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks. It seems you can do that in one login but not in two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. It seems you can do that in one login but not in two.
You should be able to make as many aliases as you like.

You could also drag it to the left side of the Dock (next to the Trash can) or hold down command and option while dragging it to the desktop.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I can do it no worries in one login and put the alias anywhere but when I go to the other login, the option to create an alias is greyed out.
Having the alias in one login is good but if it is possible to have the same shared folder in everyones login, that would be even better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I can do it no worries in one login and put the alias anywhere but when I go to the other login, the option to create an alias is greyed out.
Having the alias in one login is good but if it is possible to have the same shared folder in everyones login, that would be even better.
...drag it to the left side of the Dock (next to the Trash can) or hold down command and option while dragging it to the desktop.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
works for me, just tried drag-n-drop the users/shared folder to the dock on multiple users, created a document, saved it to the shared folder on one account and it's sitting there inside the shared folder sittin in the dock on the other accounts.

Pretty spiffy.....

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks technologist. That's brilliant. I have a shared folder on my desktop in my log-in and a shared folder in the dock in the other log ins. I tried control/option dragging the folder to the desktop in the second log in but this only copies the folder and is not linked to the first folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear the dock worked.

I tried control/option dragging the folder to the desktop in the second log in but this only copies the folder and is not linked to the first folder.

Yeah, control won't work. To drag an alias "off" of an icon need to hold down the command key, ⌘,(which is often, but not always, also labelled with an open-Apple logo)

OP
D
Reaction score
Still seems to only be a static copy that does not update even using the command key. But I am happy to have the folder in the dock if not on the desktop.
Thanks again for this really useful tool.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.