Installing AirPort card and lost manual (duh)--help! :)

H

Hildy

So, I got this fabulous iBook six months ago but only just bought an AirPort card (long story, involves graduate thesis and attempt to avoid distraction). Naturally, I've misplaced the manual. So now I'm trying to wing it--have removed battery, taken off keyboard and see how the card fits into the antenna--but now what?? Nothing, not even the Apple support site or other discussion boards, seems to have the answers. I feel sure someone here will. It's the middle of the night, I can't call tech support or my local Mac-inclined pals, and I'm determined to get this thing installed or bust. A million virtual kisses to all who contribute answers! Most important question: do I remove this metal plate thing with some tiny screwdriver I don't have? I have a Phillips, but it's huge compared to these screws. Arghhh....

Emily

OP
H

Hildy

Thanks! But the part I don't understand is "flip up the wire bracket." I don't see how it flips; I'm afraid to bend it out of shape (and it hurts my thumbs!). I see just where it's supposed to slide in, and it's plugged in and everything, but I can't get it to lie flat! So before I checked back here I called Apple Australia (I'm stubborn--I must have answers!) and here's a direct quote from tech support Down Under...

"Do you have a brother or a husband who could do it for you? Guys are usually good at these things." Wow!

OP
R

Ryanstech

ouch, shame on Apple support for saying that. The clip should slip in to place if you pinch the sides together and push the card down so that it snaps in. If you still have trouble I can take some pictures at work to explain it better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Hildy said:
Thanks! But the part I don't understand is "flip up the wire bracket." I don't see how it flips; I'm afraid to bend it out of shape (and it hurts my thumbs!). I see just where it's supposed to slide in, and it's plugged in and everything, but I can't get it to lie flat! So before I checked back here I called Apple Australia (I'm stubborn--I must have answers!) and here's a direct quote from tech support Down Under...

"Do you have a brother or a husband who could do it for you? Guys are usually good at these things." Wow!

Are you located in NYC? If so, and you still need help, I can give you a hand installing it, because I'm right over the GWB in NJ.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.