Brand new 4g ipod: frozen! What to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
I'm brand new to macs and ipods, I just got my brand new ipod 4g and powerbook 17" today. I was back at my pc and I installed the ipod software on it with the intention of copying some files onto the ipod to put onto my pb (powerbook was at my parents place, my pc is at my campus apartment...thats why I didn't just use the ethernet). I start to copy some stuff, and the ipod freezes. Now it says on the screen "Do not disconnect" and it won't respond to anything. I tried doing what some sites said by holding play and menu to reboot it. Nothing....has this happened to anybody? I thought maybe the battery needs to be charged so I have it charging now. Is there a way to force a reboot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

To reset iPod mini and iPod (Click Wheel)

Connect iPod to the iPod Power Adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet.

Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.
If your iPod does not respond to these steps, see additional steps in the iPod troubleshooting basics and service FAQ.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea I guess the older ipods had a different hard-reboot method (menu and play?). I read the manual that came with mine (weird how that helps, eh?) and I was able to get it to reboot. Man I feel dumb! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Ever read the expression RTFM? :D
One of the most used by IT-Administrators... ;)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've always been anti-manual! In a lot of cases google can be faster in finding answers....except when the new ipod has just been released and most sites are still referring to the older ones. :(

G

gailwin

that's stupid how they don't adapt the same methods to the new iPod's (those son of a bit's)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.