n00b with G3 "Lombard" wireless probs

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I recently came into possession of an Apple G3 Powerbook "Lombard" laptop. It has both OS 10.3.9 and OS 9.2 installed (I don't know what for). It has a 400mhz processor and 512mb of memory. I have an Orinoco Wi-Fi card (with installed drivers) that will only work under OS 9.2. When I go to my local library I can pick up a good strong signal but I can't open a web browser (for OS 9 I have an older OS 9 supported Mozilla and icab).

My one Mac friend tells me OS 9 is no good (so far I like it because it's the most Windows-like environment) and that I should use OS 10 instead.

I bought a Hawking Technology Wi-Fi card for OS 10 and my signal connects and disconnects and connects and disconnects, etc. The funny thing is one of my neighbors has an unsecured signal and I can easily log on to the internet that way (the signal is usually very weak; between 10 and 18%. If I'm lucky I can get a signal that's 25%!). When I try to log on my home wireless network (with password) that's when I get the connects, disconnects problem.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Wireless Issues

You may want to ensure you've got all the Apple updates associated with your wireless card...click on the Apple icon and Software Update. If you have problems connecting to the Internet via wireless for enough time, connect via ethernet. I had a problem with my Lombard at first w/ wireless and after an Airport update all worked (I had to connect via ethernet).

Otherwise, you may have some corruption in your OS...you may want to "Archive and Install" with the OSX CD and see if that fixes the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.