Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 won't boot

Reaction score
My Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 won't boot up. It turns on, there is the chime, and I get the Apple logo but no spinning wheel. After awhile the fan speed increases. Can't even boot to the install disk. I changed out the battery, reset the pram...still no boot.

your suggestions and comments would be most appreciated.

jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Have you added any new ram into the machine. It might be a hardware issue. I think it probably is a hardware issue. And when you try to boot your machine count the seconds before the fans speed up and the thing freezes. Is this time the same every time or different every time.

And I've heard the chime is there to say the machine is ok internally then it'll try to load up the system. SO maybe there is a conflict between the hardware and the system.

I dunno I'm just pulling at straws here. Maybe someone else here will be able to help you more.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanx joel

The ram is ok. It is not a freeze issue. The fan comes on after about 3 minutes everytime. I just get the apple logo.

OP
J
Reaction score
Reply:powermac won't boot...

When I first started it up after being in storage for a year, I was running 10.3.9. I was living with friends at the time who live off the grid. They have solar panels/inverter and a generator. They say they have a pure sine wave inverter but are not sure. When the new harddrive was installed I also had Tiger put in. I live off the grid as well have solar panels/pure sine wave inverter and a EU3000 Honda generator which has an inverter built in. After the tech installed the new harddrive and 10.4. It worked in his shop but did exactly the same thing when I fired it up back at my place. When I took back into the shop, He could only get to boot to the the install disk(10.4) and that was intermitant. Took back home....still no boot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.