Reinstalling Mac os

Reaction score
Hello everyone I bought a used ibook g4... i recently bought mac os version 10.2.1 install cds and software cds because the person did not have the cds. I read the cd and it says i need to hold c when it boots to install, i do that but it does not work at all. Is there something I need to know? or did I buy the wrong one? my ibook has the tiger version and i have that disc. The reason why i want to reinstall is because I want to put everything back to factory settings and with my name instead of the person i bought it from. Is this possible or am i stuck with what i have right now? sorry for all the questions, this is my first apple... i worked on apple before but when it comes to installing i am ignorant. Thanks everyone in advanced who is willing to help me out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You say your iBook has Tiger (10.4) and you are going to put 10.2 on it? Why would you do that? Anyway, I'm not sure how the 10.2 thing works, but for 10.4, I just press and hold the C button. As an alternative, you can also try holding the Alt/Option key while booting to show you the boot choices...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The iBook G4's worked with 10.3 and 10.4 (Panther and Tiger).

I doubt 10.2 would install. That could be your issue.

What are the Specs on the iBook? Click on the Apple in the upper left hand corner and on About This Mac. What speed is the CPU?

http://support.apple.com/specs/ibook/iBook_G4.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Do you just want to log in to your ibook under your name?

Why not just go to System preferences, then click on accounts and set up a new account with your name. You can delete the old account at your leisure.

As to your CDs for 10.2 not working: they may have come as install CDs for a different model so may not work with your G4

M

MacHeadCase

*Moved to the correct forum*

Welcome to Mac-Forums, firme.

According to this, your iBook shipped with at least Mac OS X Panther on it.

So me thinks you can't install Mac OS X Jaguar 10.2.x because of this. Or it could be the reason louishen gave you in his post just above mine.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input.

goobimama: i have tried holding down on c button and on option and neither have worked.

dtravis7: ere are the specs to my ibook: 1.07 GHz PowerPc G4, 256m as far as the monitor its 14in.

louishen: the reason for me to wanting to reinstall to its original os system is because i want to restore the ibook as if i had bought it from the store. since i have been working with pcs i know reinstalling windows can be done and reset everything back to factory settings. i do not know if you can do the same with macs. can you? but after reading reading some of the posts and other sites i think i may have just bought the wrong one. luckily i didn't spend alot of money for the cds. want to set up with my name and not keep it as someone elses name.

thanks guys for the help.... sure is helping me alot. well i guess it was wrong on my part for not asking the person what was the orginal os on the ibook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I dont think taking back the OS to its original is really that necessary

Unlike Windows - which tend to accumulate junk and get slower over time - Mac os x does a very good job of keeping itself optimised and in tip top shape - and does this in the background (usually overnight)

You can run its clean up tasks manually using ONYX

I have never done a clean install (just upgrades) in the 4 years I have had my current mac - and ironically OS 10.4 actually runs better than the previous versions of OS X that I have had on my desktop G4 ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
the reason for me to wanting to reinstall to its original os system is because i want to restore the ibook as if i had bought it from the store.

Your reasoning sounds more psychological than logical. If you have Tiger, install that. Hold down C as you are doing, but bear in mind your disc must be the full retail version (discs that ship with Macs are specific to that model only, which will be stated on the front of the DVD).

95% of Tiger discs out there are DVDs as well - do you have a DVD drive?

Failing that, you need to get hold of the discs that should have been included with your computer, or buy a CD of 10.3 Panther.

OP
F
Reaction score
If the ibook begins to freeze is does that has something to do with the os or is there something else wrong? This is part of the reason why i also wanted to reinstall the os. Also how would I unistall programs i don't want? Do i just grab the program from the applications folder and drag it to trash and thats it? i read about this somewhere in the web. well i will not mess with the reinstall then, i will just leave it alone then. thanks guys. oh before i forget does someone know a post regarding the freezing problem i have i tried looking for one but could not find it. i tried installing some graphic design programs and half way it freezes on me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.