• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Letterboxing without my consent

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Today I started importing footage of a project which is my first paid job as a videographer, and after about 140 clips it stopped automatically so I hit Apple/S to save it and a box came up saying:

Letterboxing: This may take a while.

I did not asked for all the clips top be letterboxed - something which would take at least an hour to do, and if I did want it letterboxed I know the procedure, so why is my MBP doing this without my say so?

As it happens, my camcorder has a wide viewfinder and my clients TV is a flatscreen widescreen so it may be better to have the movie in widescreen format, however I want it to be my decision - not my laptops!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
It might help if you tell us what editing software you are using and what format the source material is in. Oh, and what format you told your editing software to use during the import.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I guess he's using iMovie, it does that by default cause of widescreen dominating these days. You have to turn off the letterboxing in the preferences (at least that's what I remember from iMovie 06).

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
^ Yes I am and thankyou - footage media is on DV cassette.

Ok, If you want a project to just look good on both widescreen and normal formats - what is the best thing to do considering there are three ways to do widescreen and any number of combinations of the following three.

1: Change project aspect ratio to widescreen when burning to i-DVD.

2: Letterboxing

3: Get a camcorder with a wide viewfinder - which they all are now these days, so by that rationale do I need to do anything to make the finished product decently viewable on an old or new TV?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.