A question about .pdf's and safari/firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Hello All,

We are new to Mac's an absolutely loving them. My wife has an iMac. Her desktop is becoming cluttered with .pdf files as they download everytime she views them in the safari or firefox. Does the Mac have a setting that stops the file download everytime it is viewed. How does a person manage all of these download .pdf's. She is in school and does a lot of research so her desktop is full of .pdf files.;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I use the Schubert|it PDF Browser Plug-in. This allows you to view the pdfs in the browser without downloading it to the desktop. The only complaint I have with it is the mouse scroll wheel doesn't work with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I think you want the AdobePDFViewer plugin. I think it comes as part of Adobe Reader, but I might be wrong.

I've just disabled this because I hate the way it displays PDFs; I much prefer downloading them and using Preview.

EDIT: Scratch that; now I've disabled it, clicking a PDF link will display it in the browser window (without the Adobe rubbish), and option-clicking it will download it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I believe FireFox has a PDF view (extension), add-on for just viewing PDFs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.