error 50 prevents printer installation

Reaction score
Error message: "an error has occurred while trying to add the selected printer. Error:- 50."

I am unable to add my printer (HP Laserjet 1320) to my computer (Mac 10.4.10) even with the latest driver for this printer (5522.dmg).

Here is the pathway that causes the error message:

printer browser - protocol - line printer daemon (LPT) - print using HP (HP Laserjet 1320 series) = error 50 message.

I've tried the following things to fix the problem without success:

- resetting the printer system (applications - utilities - printer setup utility - reset printing system)

- uninstalling the printer software by deleting it from the applications folder, then putting it back in applications by downloading the latest copy from the hp driver page

- unplugging then plugging the printer back in

Thanks for any tips on solving the error 50 error message when installing a printer on the Mac operating system.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you connecting to that printer via a JetDirect (network) connection?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No, there is no network involved. Just one computer and one printer.

OK, just checking - we have a number of LJ1320s at work, but they're all networked. They are not particularly picky about drivers usually (I can usually get away with a LJ 4+ driver over the network). I'm surprised it wasn't plug and play for you.

OP
S
Reaction score
The problem is centered around the Error 50 message. This error is blocking my ability to install and run the printer.

Someone else on another forum had this problem, and the user seems to have partially solved the problem. I've pasted it below.

I am particularly interested in this note from the posting: "Rebuild your list by toggling print sharing in System Preferences sheet."

I've checked out "system preferences" but I can't find a print sharing window or menu.
But as mentioned I have reset my printing system.

Here is that posting:

Error 50 while trying to add any printer

Here's it is verbatim: "An error occurred while trying to add the selected printer Error:-50"

Yes.., I've monkeyed with the files suggested by HP, et. al. Things are greyed out when using Printer Setup Utility that weren't before.

update--> My printers.conf and classes.conf are missing, message: "no such file." They weren't even in the cups directory as expected. I guess I either have to reinstall CUPS, or clear out the printer system manually in root? Anyone?

update--> These two files are erased by Printer Reset. They are generated by cupsd. You can either use previous copies to restore your printer lists, or in my case reinstall cups. "Rebuild your list by toggling print sharing in System Preferences sheet." I can now add other printers, but still get error -50 I believe due to: "bad line from USB" from my HP printer.

What is causing this bad line?

I [27/Aug/2007:21:01:40 -0500] System woke from sleep
E [27/Aug/2007:21:11:59 -0500] get_printer_attrs: resource name '/printers/øˇÓ' no good!
E [27/Aug/2007:21:11:59 -0500] get_printer_attrs: resource name '/printers/øˇÏ' no good!
E [27/Aug/2007:21:14:51 -0500] LoadDevices: Bad line from "usb": direct usb://hp/hp?serial=MY52SG "hp"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.