• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Getting a older model a good alternative, for low budgets?

Reaction score
I really want a mac notebook, but can't justify spending $1000 on it right now.

Would buying a $600 or so older model, like an ibook g4 or something, be a good alternative? Or would I run into alot of problems and frusterations?

Thank you all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 300MHz 288mb RAM Mac OS X (Panther), iMac G3 500MHz (Panther), iMac G3 350MHz (Tiger), iPod
I was in the same boat, I decided to buy an older model iBook, I slapped OS X on it; may as well been new. It works fine and I haven't had any problems with it. Just make sure the battery still has life to it.

Good Luck!
iMacKid500 :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 300MHz 288mb RAM Mac OS X (Panther), iMac G3 500MHz (Panther), iMac G3 350MHz (Tiger), iPod
Go to your local Craigslist, that's where you will find the best deals and it's local. LINK: http://craigslist.org

Good luck!

Reaction score
I bet you could find a first generation Mac Book for well under $1000, maybe not quiet as low as $600, but if you can swing it I would definitely go with intel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
I bet you could find a first generation Mac Book for well under $1000, maybe not quiet as low as $600, but if you can swing it I would definitely go with intel.

i totally agree, i would suggest either buying a refurb or waiting until you have the money because the intel based macs run like a dream.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I got a 12" powerbook 1.5ghz for $680 a couple months ago and it works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.