program to download a webpage and all linked pages?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I'm looking to do some offline work, and I want to see if there is a program that will download a webpage, as well as all the pages it links to (and possibly all the pages that the linked pages link to). I realize this could potentially become a very large file, as the number of pages that would be downloaded would grow exponentially with every increase in the number of nested pages that are downloaded. Anyone know of anything? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You can do that with any FTP app. Just move the files that you need from the server to your computer. Then you can work on your site locally.

If you are trying to do this for a site that you haven't created, then this simply isn't possible unless you have the access, permissions and rights to do so.

OP
RONE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
You can do that with any FTP app. Just move the files that you need from the server to your computer. Then you can work on your site locally.

If you are trying to do this for a site that you haven't created, then this simply isn't possible unless you have the access, permissions and rights to do so.

It's not a site I own/run. It's a site we've been told to use for a class (Gross Anatomy lab - currently canine dissection). Are you saying that what I'm wanting to do isn't legal? It's completely for personal use, no reproduction other than what I look at on my laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It's not a site I own/run. It's a site we've been told to use for a class (Gross Anatomy lab - currently canine dissection). Are you saying that what I'm wanting to do isn't legal? It's completely for personal use, no reproduction other than what I look at on my laptop.
If it is used for educational use (school work) then that would be fine.
If you were looking to download the page to de-construct/re-construct... then that wouldn't be all that fine.
:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5

That will not work on dynamic sites. The app he describes pulls down the rendered HTML pages after being parsed - from any site. No ftp needed. It will automatically convert links and images to work offline.

I think one such app is called suckitdown... versiontracker.com is down right now, so I can't help name a few others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
At the risk of setting off waves of anti Internet Explorer repercussions, IE used to have the ability to save a web page as a "web archive", which I believe did just what you are looking for. If you could find an old Mac copy of IE, it might just do the trick, although I suspect that only IE could read the result...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can try DeepVacuum. I have not tried it, so I don't know how well it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I remember watching a Keynote years back where Steve demo'd this feature. It was indeed a "web archive" file and took about 30 minutes to create (he obviously went to a "here's one I made earlier"). It could well have been IE that he was using, because I think Safari has only been around since about 2003.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.