• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

'sleep' and 'screen saver' questions.

D

doubledvideo

I have wireless internet in my house, and my mac is one of the computer that recieves the wirless internet....I am just wondering, if there is anyway to put the computer to 'sleep' but still remain active on the network. For example, I have AIM up and my away message on, and something downloading in the background ( a large file of some sort), I would like to put the computer to 'sleep' and still stay signed on through AIM and continue downloading. Everytime my mac 'sleeps' it seems to lose the wireless internet signal. On my dad's pc, and my bro's pc, they can put there computers on 'standby', but i've checked out both computers, and they still remain active on the network (i.e still logged in through AIM, etc. etc.) even though they are on 'standby'. IS there anyway you can do this on a mac....or am i just stuck

one other question,

when i have my screensaver up, its usually because i was editing something and walked away to do something else, i would like my screen saver to come up and be password protected when you come back and wiggle the mouse you have to put in a password to go back to what you were doing. (i believe windows has something similar)... to many times things have gotten screwed up cause my ******* of a lil brother decides he knows what he is doing (but in all reality) has never used a mac much, and tends to screw things up quite often.

any help will be greatly appreciated. :)

OP
F

flonejek

*bump*
I want exactly the same functionality, it'd be great for my xdonkey addiciton :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I don't think you can have the system sleep during a download; the net card is active... Password for screen-saver is in system preferences > security

OP
D

doubledvideo

i have mac osx 10.2.8 and i see no security tab under the system prefrences, anywhere else it could be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
In my 10.3.4 its in the top pane called personal - to the right security. Did you try from the Apple menu on the top left? Although I guess that's the same

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
In 10.2.8, open System Preferences and select the Screen Effects pane. Click on the Activation tab, and then click the bubble next to Use my User Account Password.

As for sleeping while online...I'd just set the display to shut off after 10 minutes or so. True sleep cuts off the network card.

OP
D

doubledvideo

thanks the "password" helped...

just wish i could 'sleep' the comptuer, and still stay online. oh well...

time to go back to a PC i guess, just kidding

OP
C

chronogoof89

doubledvideo said:
thanks the "password" helped...

just wish i could 'sleep' the comptuer, and still stay online. oh well...

time to go back to a PC i guess, just kidding

Set the display to turn off, and have it set so the HD turns off when possible. Once the display goes off, you are basically in sleep - the network card (so long as you shut off other programs - iTunes would keep pumping music, for example) is going to basically be the only thing active all the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.