time machine question

Reaction score
i have the macbook line , and was thinking of upgrading to leopard like everyone else. when im on the road doing work , will time machine detect all changes when i plug in the external hard drive automatically?

if not , then its no fun 4 me. :Angry-Tongue:

OP
chitty
Reaction score
Re

thnks , in other words my macbook is good 2 go for time machine !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reigns surpeme
Time machine better then super duper?

M

MacHeadCase

To be able to call one better than the other, both have to be tested. Time Machine has not been tested and rumour has it that whatever copies it makes will not be bootable.

Only time will tell. We all have to wait till next Friday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
As far as what I understood from the quick look of the time machine is that it's meant for backing up the user files and not to make a bootable image of the disk. Correct me if I am wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Time machine better then super duper?

Depends on what you want.

SuperDuper will create a full bootable backup copy. I don't think TimeMachine can do that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And from the description of Time Machine and the way Apple is showing it, it does not look like Apple is trying to compete with SuperDuper, it's a whole different way of creating backups - so it will be up to what type of back up works best for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
And from the description of Time Machine and the way Apple is showing it, it does not look like Apple is trying to compete with SuperDuper, it's a whole different way of creating backups - so it will be up to what type of back up works best for you.

Exactly, with time Machine you can go back and get files that have been deleted, but probably can't boot. With Super Duper or CCC you can boot, but once you save changes, such as a deletion of a file, I think it's just gone.

Personally, I would prefer Time Machine because I have accidentally deleted files more than once and I can always install a new hard drive and run my recovery disks. Of course, if you have the money for storage, you could do both!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.