Help !!! - new iMac user - can't see external Iomega usb storage

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just got my new 24" imac yesterday and have been trying for a few hours to transfer my pc files to the new mac.

I have my pc data backed up on an 80gb iomega hard drive.

When I connect up the external drive to the iMac while it is in XP mode under Parallels, it does not see the external usb storage drive ( I checked that recognise usb is turned on in the config settings ). My understanding is that I should transfer the windows files to the shared folder in parallels desktop and i can then move them to say the itunes folder in the mac drive.

I also tried connecting the drive to the imac in normal mac OS mode and it did not see the external iomega drive ?

What is the correct way to do this ? - if I could connect the USB drive to the Mac OS would it be able to read the Windows files ( documents, iTunes library from my windows PC ) and move them to the normal Mac OS directories ?

Would appreciate any thoughts on resolving this as when I looked at the Iomega support site it indicated that the iMac should have all the drivers needed.

Thank you

Warm regards,
Kieran.

Reaction score
When the drive is connected in Mac OS does it show up in Disc Utility? How did you format the drive? NTFS, FAT32 ... ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Under OSX, when your drive is plugged in, go to utility folder->Disk Utility and see if you external hard-drives is shown there.

Also while in the Finder, drop down the Finder menu, and go to preferences, check under sidebar to show mounted devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 24" - 2.8ghz - 2 Gig Ram - 500 Gig HD
Welcome to the forums! :)

As for your issue - I switched to a new iMac myself about a week ago. So far I have not experienced any issues with drives being detected. I have plugged in all my USB drives (jump drives and hard drives) and they have been detected in OSX without incident.

As far as I know, OSX should be able to READ - ANY windows drive. However when it comes to writing them I know for sure NTFS is OUT of the question. Fat and Fat32 I beleive it can write to (might need to double check that).

My guess, your issue probably stems from the fact that it's an IOMEGA device. I have never had good luck with them to start with, hence why I no longer use them.

You should (in theory) be able to plug in your drive (give it a few seconds) and it should appear in the upper right hand of your screen as a USB device (right under Macintosh HD). The icon is usually orange with the USB sybol on it.

Hope that helps somewhat?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.