frontrow in leopard - downgrade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" C2D 2.2Ghz SR 2GB RAM 128MB VRAM 120GB HDD
hey!

am i the only one to think that the new frontrow that comes with leopard is only worse than the one before?

+ everything is so small, i loved the way it was before. very ipod-like
+ if you don't have album art for a song, it just shows a box with a note instead of hiding it.
+ why does it flip around every few secs?
+ why can't i toggle between itunes and frontrow without losing the song i'm playing?
+ i can no longer choose a song under "music" and then start a picture slideshow using it as the background music.
+ ......

if i have the install disks for tiger, can i get the old version to run again? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can try using Pacifist to install the old frontrow, but not sure if it will work with leopard.

Reaction score
AFAIK, iLife '06 will be compatible with Leopard as while a lot of people will be upgrading to Leopard, that doesn't mean they are forced to purchase iLife '08 as well .... being 2 different purchases makes me think the compatiblity won't be an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Spawn__Dooley;509303 said:
AFAIK, iLife '06 will be compatible with Leopard as while a lot of people will be upgrading to Leopard, that doesn't mean they are forced to purchase iLife '08 as well .... being 2 different purchases makes me think the compatiblity won't be an issue.

Front Row isn't part of iLife.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
hey!

am i the only one to think that the new frontrow that comes with leopard is only worse than the one before?

+ if you don't have album art for a song, it just shows a box with a note instead of hiding it.
+ why can't i toggle between itunes and frontrow without losing the song i'm playing?
+ i can no longer choose a song under "music" and then start a picture slideshow using it as the background music.

How do you know all this, given that Leopard isn't released yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I like the new look, and I have album art for all my music, so that's not a big deal. What I'm really hoping for is to be able to view pictures without having a slideshow made for every single one of them. As far as I can tell, I can't access my photos via Frontrow unless I have put them in a slideshow. Also, it would be nice to be able to access videoi.ts files via frontrow too, but I don't see that one happening.

Reaction score
I think its far cleaner, and more advanced. A big thumbs up here.

Wait till you use the new Ichat. The additional features are awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
A lot of ADC members around here all of a sudden...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
from what i have read though, front row in leopard is embedded in the OS as opposed to just an app as it is in tiger...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
hey!

No you aren't the only one, I hate the new front row too. Before anybody gets upset and starts pointing fingers, I hate it because I hate the appletv interface.

I hope somebody figures out how to switch it back to the old one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
from what i have read though, front row in leopard is embedded in the OS as opposed to just an app as it is in tiger...

I was told this as well. Sounds like this could help speed it up quite a bit. The sometimes slow performance of FrontRow was my only complaint with the current version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally like the look of the new one. Though I guess I'll have to wait till Friday to be able to make an assessment of whether or not I actually like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook White, Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz, 2 GB Ram, 100GB HD
What's up with the new Front Row

hey!

+ ......

if i have the install disks for tiger, can i get the old version to run again? any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm totally with you, especially on the switching between itunes and front row and it doesn't keep the song/podcast/whatever that was playing. It just seems very un-mac-like to have programs that are purposefully not integrated. I can get used to the new look, but I miss some of the functionality of the original, can we have it back mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
iLove how quicker Frontrow works now

:shrug:

I'm pleased

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well, I thought I was a fan of the new Front Row, but I've changed my mind. I liked the old interface better and the transitions. I've also found that I don't like the way my iTunes music is cut off when I exit the music section. I realized that I often have music playing in Front Row and then exit to my desktop, but now the music is cut off instead of playing throughout.

Also, when checking out movie previews, I like that summary text, but the actual poster pics take forever to load. I'd rather have the old layout back.

So far that and Stacks are the things I don't care for. Everything else is great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.