Files on external HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
I have an external HDD with all my files. These files were copied on to the device using Windows. I can access these files on my Mac when I connect the drive, but the permission of all these files appear as 'read only'. How can I change the permissions on these files so that I can access / change them when I connect the HDD to my Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Use cmd+I to "Get Info" on the highest level folder(s).

Expand the ownership widget to show details. Change the owner to your username. Access to read and write. Change Group to staff and read only and Others to read only. Then click the "apply to enclosed items" button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
How is the drive formatted? That is most likely your problem.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz/ 2GB RAM / 120 GB HDD
Use cmd+I to "Get Info" on the highest level folder(s).

Expand the ownership widget to show details. Change the owner to your username. Access to read and write. Change Group to staff and read only and Others to read only. Then click the "apply to enclosed items" button.

The drive was formated using using NTFS, is that why I can't seem to be able to use your suggestion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
You can copy the files to mac then formatt the hd then copy them back to hd...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Macs can only read NTFS, so you'll have to remove the data and format it as FAT32 to use it on both Windows and Mac.

Reaction score
Ive just formatted my external HD on my mac and selected the MS-DOS mode, because of the same problem you have. That works fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" white macbook. 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. 160GB. 2GB memory, and giving leapord a second chance.
i have the same issue with my seagate 250GB, how exactly do you reformat the HD? its a plug and play... externals are new to me.. especially coming from windows, when it was ready to go out the box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.