iPod Touch says "No Wifi"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I restored my iPod Touch right now and when I go to settings the WiFi bar on the top is grayed out and it says "No Wi-Fi".

I can't seem to get it to go away. Here's some links to the Apple Discussions which explains the problem too. None of the suggestions have worked.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5595575&tstart=0

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1171832&tstart=-1

Edit: So I turned off my iPod Touch and left it like that. I plugged it into my Mac and it woke the iPod Touch up. Went back to settings and it is back to normal. I wonder what could be causing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard
That doesn't sound good at all. It would appear that you could have a hardware problem. If your unit is still under warranty, you may want to call Apple and get them to replace the WiFi portion of the unit. Yesterday my WiFi was working fine in the morning. Later in the afternoon it was grayed out. I tried restoring my iPod, resetting it completely, rebooting, and even tried to restore it back to version 1.1.1. Nothing worked. My Wifi is still saying "No WiFi" and it is grayed out. It's nuts! I called Apple and the lady on the phone was not familiar with this problem. So perhaps it doesn't happen often. She had me on hold for a while and came back to say that this is a hardware problem and my iPod Touch is going to have to be sent in for repairs. Wow!! It's not even 2 months old.

I left it at version 1.1.1, but I think I'm going to put it back to 1.1.2. The reason is because it's locking up on me now and it never used to do that. I thought a reset/restore would wipe out any memory and all files on the iPod. However, I suspect that some of the files from 1.1.2 are still floating around in there which could be causing the lock up. I'll put it back to 1.1.2 later tonight and see what happens.

Does anyone know if the restore/reset completely wipes out all traces of files in the iPod before the restore happens???

Thanks. ;D

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot for the reply. I am going to call Apple as soon as I can tomorrow. As you can see there are discussions going on at the Apple boards so hopefully it will be discovered soon by Apple.

About the restore/reset, I believe it does wipe it out. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard
Yes, yours should still be under warranty if you only purchased it in October. They will do an exchange for a new one if it is within 30 days. Between 31 and 90 days they will repair the unit or replace it with a refurb, so I feel a bit upset over this. My iPod was treated well. I am nervous now about the iPod touch. I don't remember ever having an electronic gadget break down on me, let alone this quickly. I'm going to scan some more through Google to see if this is becoming a widely known problem. I read something on another site where a guy mentioned he believed it was because the unit got too hot and fried the WiFi equipment. I was watching a movie on my iPod yesterday morning that took about an hour to complete. The iPod Touch was warm, but not what I would consider hot. You never know though. Inside the unit it is most likely hotter than what I'm feeling on the outside. Too many parts in a device so small could create problems with heat I suppose that could lead to faulty hardware.

Best of luck Eric.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For anyone else who is having a problem with their iPhone or iPod Touch losing the ability to communicate via WiFi, this problem also seems to drain the battery very rapidly. So don't be alarmed if you find your battery on empty after a full charge, in a span of 5 to 6 hours of being in standby mode.

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For anyone else who is having a problem with their iPhone or iPod Touch losing the ability to communicate via WiFi, this problem also seems to drain the battery very rapidly. So don't be alarmed if you find your battery on empty after a full charge, in a span of 5 to 6 hours of being in standby mode.

Yes very true. When I talked to Apple on the phone they told me that the battery shouldn't drain because Wi-Fi was off. I told them I didn't think so because my battery life became awful as soon as I got the Wi-Fi problem. They couldn't do anything on the phone and they told me to go to a Apple Store and talk to them about it. I have an appointment tomorrow.

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Today was the day of the appointment with the Genesis bar. I went in and told them about my problem. When the employee was getting the Macbook they have behind the counter he ended up dropping my iPod Touch. He quickly picked it up and said he would get me a new one right away. Solved my problem yet that wasn't really helpful to any of you who are having the problem I was having. Best bet is to go into your local apple store or call Apple directly and tell them your problem. :) Good luck everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was awesome that you got a new iPod. Was it brand new or refurbished? Check out the week number which can be found imbedded into your serial number. My original iPod Touch was manufactured during week 38 of 2007. The 3rd character is the year, and the 4th and 5th characters of your serial number is the week manufactured.

Apple told me that they would repair mine, but for this wifi problem, they actually replaced it. I don't know yet what they are sending me. A refurbished one? I hope not considering my iPod Touch was only 6 weeks old. The WiFi never did work properly on it, it was intermittently working and not working. I never realized it was a serious problem until it stopped working completely. It sucks to pay close to $500 and be sent a damaged device, then have it exchanged for one that was refurbished in less than 2 months. I'll let you guys know if I get a brand new one or a refurbished one, and what week it was manufactured.

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I ended up getting a refurbished one. I ended up buying the AppleCare plan today also since I didn't buy it before. If I have any problems with this one I'll just call them up again unfortunately.

You will most likely get a refurbished one. I should of asked for a retail one because mine is only one month old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully they won't follow the same procedure for mine here in Canada. I don't know how I could ever trust the quality of an iPod that has been refurbished. You don't know if the person who owned it previously slammed it up against the wall or drove their car over it. That really sucks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For me, nothing worked. I lost my wifi and it stayed lost. I tried restoring, etc., and absolutely nothing worked. Not only that, the battery drained like crazy when this occurred. After 15 minutes the battery was pretty much toast after a full charge. Apple replaced it with another one. I cannot tell if it was refurbished or not. The date embedded in the serial number was only 3 weeks prior to me receiving it, so it would seem strange that it was refurbished.

My situation may be a little different. The original iPod was personalized with my name and phone number. The replacement had to come from China again, and it's possible in cases where you've had your name inscribed that it is cheaper for Apple to just send a new one from the plant. I'll never know for sure though. In any case, this replacement has been working fine *knock on wood*. No problems at all, and I use it daily. ;)

Reaction score
I had this problem and found the solution online from someone who apparently was having the same problem but with their iPhone (I have an iPod touch).

Go to Settings, then to Safari. Then go toward the bottom and clear cache, clear cookies, and clear history. Then hold down the top left button on your iPod to reboot the machine.

When it comes back on your wifi should be working. I'm glad this worked because I didn't want to have to go in to an Apple Store and wait for a refurbished iPod touch to come in the mail or whatever. I also though water damage was the reason for mine stopping working but apparently not!

I hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried doing the things that you've mentioned when mine was broken and it did nothing to fix it. Others say to put the iPod/iPhone in the fridge and it will work again but then it will stop working once it gets warm. The first generation of these things had a problem with heat and he wi-fi. Some part had to be replaced. That's what I got for being the first in line to buy one of these.

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks so much for this thread as it is so helpful as i have experienced the same problems, battery life reduced and everything! Unfortunately my problems came from liquid damage (check the small paper at the end of the headphone jack, if it is pink then it has been damaged!) I hope anyone else reading can claim on the warrenty, and (also) unfortuneatly "d'anconia's" helps do not work!

Reaction score
No wifi on replacement from apple, which came fine, but eventually stopped working

Hello,

I read all these questions and answers, great forum by the way! :)

It was good to read that more people share my frustration with my nearly brand new itouch (Dec-08). After google'ing "itouch no wi-fi" and finding many hits, this one one of them, and browsing and reading most of the hits, I could not see a single answer that indicates rootcause and solution.

I had the same no-wifi-problem for a long time before taking action and contacting Apple around 2 months ago. As still in warranty (1year), they replaced my itouch, on a process that end-to-end took about 5-7 working days.

The new one arrived on 14th July and was perfect, looked like a brand new one, although could be a refurb, don't know. Wifi was working perfect and no issues. I re-sync'ed all my 15GB of music, apps, etc, registered device etc and now, 1 month on from receiving it, wifi stopped working.

I did nothing wrong with it, I am very sure, because it has been only 1 month and I use it almost exclusively in my 1h10m jog every morning.

Could anybody help me please?

I don't want to send yet this other one back to Apple and wait another 5-7 working days for a replacement, and not have my itouch, especially because my main use is to listen to music, which is unaffected by lack of wifi.

My frustration is, i invested my time in this, and i am back to where i started... So same steps do not seem to be a wise choice...

I look forward to a reply... All the best!

Tina

Reaction score
I had this problem and found the solution online from someone who apparently was having the same problem but with their iPhone (I have an iPod touch).

Go to Settings, then to Safari. Then go toward the bottom and clear cache, clear cookies, and clear history. Then hold down the top left button on your iPod to reboot the machine.

When it comes back on your wifi should be working. I'm glad this worked because I didn't want to have to go in to an Apple Store and wait for a refurbished iPod touch to come in the mail or whatever. I also though water damage was the reason for mine stopping working but apparently not!

I hope this helps!

Thanks, it fixed the problem.

Reaction score
fix ipod touch no wifi address

ok all u have to do is open itunes conect ur ipod and go to restor to factorie settings but DO NOT DO NOT BACK UP THE IPOD AND U HAVE TO SET IT HAS A NEW IPOD I HOPE IT HELPS sorry for my speeling lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.