Will Mac work for me?

P

pitythefool

I'm in the market to buy a laptop, at the moment I just have a *cough* Windows desktop...

I'm really keen to use 'buying a new machine' as an excuse to try out a Mac. BUT. I'm a computer science student, and so a lot of the stuff I'll use the laptop for is programming etc, but this will only really supplement what I use my main machine for. (I'll continue to use this, more for screen real-estate than anything else).

I just wondered what the availability for programming tools is like, and how well things are 'transferrable'. I.e. I don't want to find that something I coded on my Windows machine won't compile on my Mac.

Due to cash, I think the most I can stretch to is a 14" iBook. Admittedly, it will get a lot of use just as a web-browser etc, but there will be some Java/C++ development in there too.

I think I basically need someone to say "yeah, I do loads of development on my Mac" and then I will sail confidently into the Apple Store ^_~

Thanks in advance.

OP
C

Cloudane

Should be good for development, given its BSD background I think you can get all the standard *nix development tools etc.

As long as you don't program in Visual Basic or create applications in Access, you should be all set IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
In my CS program, there were basically two kinds of people: 1) Those who used a Mac for everything and 2) Those who had to constantly switch between Windows (for "normal" things ) and Linux (for programming things.)

OS X includes Java and the GCC (C/C++/Objective C) compilers out of the box; just open up a shell in Terminal and start coding. Alternatively, there are IDEs such as Apple's XCode
(See http://www.apple.com/macosx/developertools/ for more information)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I think Mac is a great choice, seeing as it comes with Perl and a test editor in the terminal ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.