Right Fan at 0 RPM. Dead?

Reaction score
Early this week I was encoding some video which caused the fans to speed up and I noticed the right fan was making a slight "ticking" sound. The next day or so the noise went away and I even installed smcFanControl so I could experiment with the fan speeds but the noise wouldn't come back.

Now today I notice that the right fan is sitting at 0 RPMs. Does this mean the fan just died or could my fiddling with the fan speeds caused some sort of software problem that's preventing it from coming on?

Considering the noise it was making earlier, I half expected it to go out eventually but not so suddenly.

M

MacHeadCase

You could pop in your optical drive Apple's Hardware Test you got with your Mac and ask for the Extended Test so it can check all your hardware components.

It should be on the restore disk 1. Here's how to do it.

After the extended test, you should have an idea of what is going on.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck! :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok I ran the tests and got the error:

"4MOT/1/40000002: Left_Middle_Front"

A quick search on that showed that it is in fact a fan problem. Now, what to do about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
OP
T
Reaction score
Simple enough, haha. Hopefully my warranty is still good. If not, any recommendations on where to buy parts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
I've got no better suggestions; most laptop fans are proprietary (or are models that are in such low demand outside of what laptop manufacturers use that nobody carries them in retail. Don't bother with a used one, it may be cheaper but the bearings will be worn, so it's a waste of money.

Also, when you pull it apart, make sure that you take notes or make a diagram of where all the screws go. Laptops are a complete pain in the neck to take apart compared to desktops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.