iMac G5 memory upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5,2Ghz,200GB.Mac Book Pro,1.83 Ghz,80GB,512MB.30GB video iPod
I want to upgrade my iMac G5 memory,can anyone advise a good memory stick please?It's 512 currently,I was wondering if I could put a 1 gig stick and make it 1.5,is that possible at all?Or should it be either 1 or 2 gig?
please advise.

OP
forex@mac.com
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there difference between iMac G5 and iMac G5 iSight?I hear there is a difference in installing the sticks,does it have only one slot or two slots?

Reaction score
Is there difference between iMac G5 and iMac G5 iSight?I hear there is a difference in installing the sticks,does it have only one slot or two slots?

There is a difference in RAM type:

The iMac G5 has 2 slots and takes 184-pin PC3200 (400MHz) DDR SDRAM while the iMac G5 with iSight has only 1 slot and takes 240-pin PC2-4200 (533MHz) DDR2 SDRAM

Mac G5
The first generation iMac G5 was introduced in August 2004. Distinguishing features include:

A 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5 processor with a 17-inch screen, or a 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 processor with a 17- or 20-inch screen.
Airport and Bluetooth are optional - if you have Airport and Bluetooth, you ordered them as a CTO extra when you bought the computer.
Comes with an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra video card.

iMac G5 (iSight)
The iMac G5 (iSight) was introduced in September 2005. This computer has several features that distinguish it from the other iMac G5s:

A 1.9 GHz PowerPC G5 processor with a 17-inch screen, or a 2.1 GHz Power PC G5 processor with a 20-inch screen.
Comes with an ATI Radeon X600 video card.
Comes with a built-in iSight camera.

OP
forex@mac.com
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you,appreciate your assistance.I guess I'll be better off to upgrade it to all the way up.
Is there any program that will help to test my new RAM stick?Some sticks may have a higher failure rate making the OS and other applications unstable.I want to make sure I get a good stick.
thanks again.

Reaction score
I have Rember is a Universal App on my Intel Mac and I thing the Hardware Test checks memory too ... only thing is I'm not sure exactly where the Hardware Test is, whether it's on the Disc you get with AppleCare (Tech Tool Deluxe) or on one of the Install Discs ... someone here will know.

Rember is a front-end GUI to the 'memtest' command line memory testing program. This application will allow the user to select the number of test loops, as well as the amount of memory to test.

There are no doubt other 3rd Party Apps that can test RAM too and others may suggest what works for them ...

Glad to help BTW ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.