Considering an iMac

Reaction score
Since the release of Leopard is soon, I've decided to buy a new iMac. Now I'm already going to wait until the new OS is out, but here's my question:

Should I buy right after it comes out, or should I wait until there is a hardware upgrade? I bought my iBook a few years ago, and I got it about 2 weeks before the iBook was abolished and the MacBook took it's place. I don't wanna pay the same amount for something when I can wait a month or two and get a better one.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Apple just recently upgraded the iMac line. So even if they come out with a new one, it will just be a speed bump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The new aluminum iMacs just came out a month or two ago. There shouldn't be any upgrades in the near future so no worries there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The new aluminum iMacs just came out a month or two ago. There shouldn't be any upgrades in the near future so no worries there.

Lol. I remember when the last G5 iMacs came out. 3-4 months later, the intels came out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Apple did say they were switching to Intel processors, right?
Plus, there is a difference between what he's asking and what you're saying. Apple switched from a G5 iMac to an Intel iMac which is an entirely different configuration just like an iBook and the Macbook.
Apple just released the AI iMacs. There will only be minor processor speed boosts for the next few upgrades, not major revamps to the product line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Yeah, I know, but it was somewhat unexpected to happen as soon as it did.

But the real thing is, buy a new computer when you need it. If the next greatest thing is released the next day, your computer isn't just gonna stop working.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, beaudierman.

I totally agree, Stretch.

Go with your need, beaudierman, not what might be or not be. If we could tell the future, we'd all be millionaires : at least I would 'cuz I sure would put my clairvoyant powers towards the lottery. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mommy's boy iMac 20"
I agree with the two guys before me.
We bought my IMac two days ago. I'm soooo happy. I don't think there will be any changes, at least that close to the day of their original release.
The guy at the store where I bought it (our neighbourhood authorized dealer + service center) told me there will be no difference, just OS.
the reason I didn't want to wait a week is because i'm a new switcher, and i didn't want dissapointments coming form a new OS that are inevitable (bugs, crashes, etc.). Tiger is proven, and stable. I've just ordered my upgrade for $9.95 though and will eventually install it, probably in 3-6 months time.
there is no way to predict what will happen tomorrow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.